Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best site for registering .com address with?

Options
  • 02-04-2006 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I've searched a bit, but can't seem to find a definitive thread that discusses the 'best' site for registering .com addresses, and since I'm about to do so, I figured I'd make a new one!

I've checked a load of sites and the address is available, so I want to buy it now.

I'm not too clued-up about this domain stuff, so I'll ask a few questions...

I want the address (eg.) www.mysite.com to show the site hosted at www40.brinkster.com/blehblehbleh/blahblah/bluh.html -- if the site does 'url forwarding', then will that mean that if I go to mysite.com, the site that will load, and what will appear in the address bar, is www40... etc? I presume that 'url masking' is what I'm looking for.

What I want is to be able to have www.mysite.com/main.html, mysite.com/contact.html, and so on. Am I able to mask just the first part, and leave that part? (like the boards address)

And I'd also like just 1 forwarded email address (eg. admin@mysite.com).

What would be the best site to buy off, in your opinion, for these features?
    1. url masking
    2. email forwarding

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Plenty of places to get .com from and you shouldn't be paying more than 10-15euros.

The other bit your on about is dns forwarding where the domain name is forwarded to an ip. The server is then set up to see what www.domain-name.com is requested and point that (or forward that) to your-domain-folder/my-site/what-ever index is present.

Actually it looks in this order

maint.htm
    maint.html
    index.htm
    index.html
    index.php
    error.html (404 if none of the above are found)

Or should. I've heard theres a couple of ways to do it but thats the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Most registrars will offer web forward - typically, you give the exact URL your site lives at the the registrar and they redirect the domain from their servers to your site. Typically, this is done as a rewrite, cloaked redirect, or redirect (the latter changing the address bar to show the 'real' address).

Email forwarding also typically forwards using a catch-all - so anything@yourdomain.com is sent on to yourname@gmail.com or whatever.

Don't pay any more than 10 euro or so for the domain and the services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i bought many domains from namecheap.com, recently with coupons a .com domain costs less than $8, the control panel is alrite enuff and the best of all it comes free with "whoisguard". it protects the whois information, sthing like proxy details which i can randomly recreate. useful to hide away from e-mail harvesters. :D.

as a warn, namecheap is a reseller of enom which i hv heard enuff shoite. so far, i have not encounter much problem, that's why i'm sticking wt them since years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

mart_max wrote:
    i bought many domains from namecheap.com, recently with coupons a .com domain costs less than $8, the control panel is alrite enuff and the best of all it comes free with "whoisguard". it protects the whois information, sthing like proxy details which i can randomly recreate. useful to hide away from e-mail harvesters. :D.

as a warn, namecheap is a reseller of enom which i hv heard enuff shoite. so far, i have not encounter much problem, that's why i'm sticking wt them since years.

Namecheap seem okay, and they do basic DNS hosting, which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

cant go wrong with godaddy.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Joker.com - €9.90 for all that you ask. Perhaps not the cheapest,but reliable.
    Free URL forwarding
    Free mail forwarding
    Free domain locking
    Full featured domain and DNS management

Pro (re: email-fwd): Spam filtering

Con:
    You can create up to 30 mail addresses per domain. It is also possible to create 'catch all'-addresses: If you enter '*' instead of 'your_name' as 'Mail-Address', all emails not matching any other address you created will go to the '*' entry.
    To block specific addresses when using a 'catch all' entry, you can create an entry for this address and use the option 'disable mail address'.
    Additionally, a special account 'postmaster' does exist, which can be modified, but not deleted.
    Current limits are:

* 30 mail addresses per domain
    * 10486kB as max. size of a single mail
    * 200 mails per day per address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Did you try Blacknight.ie ?

They have great deals and nice hosting packages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

cant go wrong with godaddy.com
    http://www.google.com/search?q=godaddy+nectartech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Ken Shabby wrote:

meh

I've got 20 domains with them and never had problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey Karoma,

maybe you'll be able to give me a bit of a hand in setting this up... I paid for the domain last night on joker.ie, and got the confirmation mail today, and now I'm a bit confused about how to make it do what I want.

As I said, I want the name www.mysite.com to remain in the address bar, and for /main.html and so on, to be at the end. So in order to do that, I gather I use DNS forwarding. I followed the FAQ, and went Service Zone>Domain Settings>Nameservice, Mailaddresses and URL-Forwarding, and clicked my domain, and now under Add New DNS/Service Record: there's a drop-down menu with a load of technical things like A-Record, CNAME-Record, and I'm not sure which I need to use :/

In order to make www.mysite.com/main.html appear instead of www40.brinkster.com/myname/main.html, what information do I need and where do I enter it?

Thanks for any help, I'm apparantly not great with this stuff :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Select URL-Forwarding from the drop-down list.
    Click the Add button.

(Sub-)Domain: leave as [empty].yourdotcom.com
    Destination URL: http://www40.brinkster.com/myname/main.html
    Tick the "Keep URL" box.
    Save

Repeat, but put in www in place of [empty] (same settings).

That should be do it. (Might be a delay of a few hours...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

have to say go daddy myself, i've about 12 domains with em never any probs and the spambots cant get your reg email address either

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

how do you get a site registered with search engines? I have a godaddy domain for the past while and want to get it searchable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

http://www.google.com/webmasters/

Thanks for your help everyone, especially Karoma! Still 1 or 2 things I'll ask you later, but the url and email forwarding are working well.

Cheers!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

smeggle wrote:
    Plenty of places to get .com from and you shouldn't be paying more than 10-15euros.

The other bit your on about is dns forwarding where the domain name is forwarded to an ip. The server is then set up to see what www.domain-name.com is requested and point that (or forward that) to your-domain-folder/my-site/what-ever index is present.

Actually it looks in this order

maint.htm
    maint.html
    index.htm
    index.html
    index.php
    error.html (404 if none of the above are found)

Or should. I've heard theres a couple of ways to do it but thats the basics.

Er, no, that's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Maybe he's confusing URL forwarding with DNS entries?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

blacknight wrote:
    Maybe he's confusing URL forwarding with DNS entries?

Possibly, but even then I find it improbable that all url forwarding services use that strange little list.

EDIT: and in fact, this page is the only mention of that list Google can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

The order depends on the webserver itself, not really the forwarding service. Most webservers would be configued to prefer index.html as the default index.

• Advertisement
Advertisement