Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking cars in Charlesland Court II

Options
  • 02-04-2006 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I hate to be a Victor Mildrew but the parking in Charlesland Court 2 is very pedestrian unfriendly. A lot of people are parking two cars in their driveway when there is only room for one, therefore the second car is actually parked on the pavement. This means that mothers with buggies have to walk onto the road to get around them, and little kids playing have no way to see if cars are approaching because their view of the road is blocked. This is really unfair on those of us who like to walk around our estate.
    In Charlesland Court 1 it seems all the residents have agreed to park their second car around the kerb of the central green area, leaving the footpath free for its intended use. If we could all do this it would make our little estate a lot less dangerous. Thats my ten cents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

In Charlesland Wood, most people have consideration for others, but the minority always spoil it for everyone. Our Management Company have specifically stated, that cars are NOT TO BE PARKED ON THE PAVEMENT. This also applies to guests visting houses. Is this the same with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

The same problem existed in Charlesland wood and the residents moved their cars out on to the kerbside central green area when informed to do so.The problem was that when one resident had a serious fall in their house the ambulance could not reach it.(This also applies for fire brigade in event of a fire) the local gardai took the numbers of the cars about 17 in all and each recieved a fine .(I Know I was one)for blocking access for emergency services .
    The problem is that the roads around the greens are too narrow and there is a bye law governing kerbside parking on roads of certain width in residential areas even if double yellow lines are not in place.The management company were informed( they also had complaints from greenstar who threatened not to collect waste if they could not get the treucks in)-- and asked residents to put second cars in driveways in contradiction to their own rules.
    Its one thing obeying management company rules but when they contravene law of the land its another. Secondly each of the houses actually own the section of pavement in front of it.Its a planning bye law also so even though they may be blocking it they do actually have the right to do so .
    The same applied to satellite dishes when it was challenged in the wood citing another ruling in a high court case the management company had to change their rules and allow their erection also the same happened when attic conversions and conservatories rules were challenged.The problem is managements companies stand on very dicey legal grounds and rarely challenge anything as they could be challenged in court for some of their rules as denying civil liberties.
    This would set a legal precedent and would have knock on implications for their very existance.The only reason they exist in charlesland is that the council do not want to take over large estates even though they are legally and constitutionally obliged to it is actually an abdication of their duties and the Dept of Environment heritage and local government are drafting revised leglislation at the moment to specifically aimed at the whole management companies which will nullify the covenants entered into and force councils to take over these estates.The leglislation is due to be presented as a bill in the DAil in the spring session of 2007.Probably will save us all a few bob.

That's interesting about Conservatories. There is a detached 3 bed house across from me and they are installing a conservatory.

I didn't know the Managment Company had to revise their rules about the parking and dishes (considering no one satelite dish was pulled down :rolleyes:)

Thanks for that!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ice Man

Interesting about the dishes, is this confirmed or hearsay? I have noticed that there are just as many as always, if not more, but would be interested to get the "official" line.

Re the parking, I can see all sides to the argument, I think the driveways should have been made large enough to accomodate two cars, but if parking on the road is going to cause fines, then I'm afraid my guests will be in the driveway behind mine! Does anyone know what the possibility of getting the front garden in the 3 beds fully cobble locked is? I have noticed one house in the Wood which has this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 JKB

I saw that 3 bed house too Plenty. So are we now saying that anyone can have a conservatory fitted ? Is planning permission required for this ?

• Advertisement

Ice man Quotes range from 900 to 1300 to get the front garden cobblelocked but watch out there are a lot of cowboys out there the only thing is the bricks couldnt be laid any worse than the job ballymore did there should be no weeds at this stage on a properly laid one I saw one where the sand has washed out from under it and it is sagging in the centre.

JKB wrote:
    I saw that 3 bed house too Plenty. So are we now saying that anyone can have a conservatory fitted ? Is planning permission required for this ?

I'd check it out first with the Management Company. Better to know before installing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 FVC

I have a letter from the builders solicitor confirming that it is ok to add on a conservatory. Need to win the lotto first

Fvc where r u Wood /Court/ Grove interested in getting acopy of that letter as ammo for a little crusade of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

walked through the wood and court no.1 last night and only one car between the two estates was double parked in their driveway, looks like the residents in those estates at least have some respect for one another by not parking up on the footpaths. Incidently all the second cars were parked around both central greens, so are these all the same people who got fines off the Gardai continuing to flout the law.....Bandidos all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

each of the houses actually own the section of pavement in front of it.Its a planning bye law also so even though they may be blocking it they do actually have the right to do so .
    Does this mean I can put a garden table and chairs on my bit of pavement and have a barbecue, you are all invited by the way... I'm afraid anyone passing will have to walk out onto the road though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What's driving me mad is the mothers picking up their kids from the montesorri opposite me and blocking access to our own driveway.

I was waiting for nearly 10 minutes in my car yesterday before they moved and I could pull in. One occasion someone had actually parked halfway into the driveway when they were picking up their sprog.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Does anyone know why the entrance to the creche goes through the Grove? It seems strange that they block the road just after the turn to the Superquinn carpark instead of blocking the road in the grove where the houses end, thus making the cars drive the other way instead of past our houses. The speed of some of those mothers in the morning, youd need eyes in the back of your head backing out of your driveway....

i have my two girls in the Puroga creche beside Superquinn and I've noticed the speed of some of the drivers. I predict a crash soon at the dangerous corner at the entrance to the houses. It's not all mothers though. I'll mention the speed concern to the manager of the creche this evening.

Eoin - I think you are referring to the Montessori in the Grove (2nd phase). Walk in and complain. There will be a crash on that corner soon as well.

FVC wrote:
    Eoin - I think you are referring to the Montessori in the Grove (2nd phase). Walk in and complain. There will be a crash on that corner soon as well.

That's the one - right opposite my apartment!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

The Montessori in the Grove Phase 2 is wrecking my head...any day I am out in the car and come back in there is at least 2 or 3 cars parked in such a way I cant get up to my house!!! One day there was 2 mums and one dad chatting while I sat in my car I actually had to beep my horn to get them out of the way and they looked disgusted at me!!! Have they no manners at all and think they can park where they want!! grrrrrrrr!!!!

INCH wrote:
    The Montessori in the Grove Phase 2 is wrecking my head...any day I am out in the car and come back in there is at least 2 or 3 cars parked in such a way I cant get up to my house!!! One day there was 2 mums and one dad chatting while I sat in my car I actually had to beep my horn to get them out of the way and they looked disgusted at me!!! Have they no manners at all and think they can park where they want!! grrrrrrrr!!!!

You must be very near me so. I will be dropping in there later today to have a friendly chat with the owner about it. I will say other residents have commented on it as well. I am tempted to ask the management company what their stance is on it.

Wineman wrote:
    walked through the wood and court no.1 last night and only one car between the two estates was double parked in their driveway, looks like the residents in those estates at least have some respect for one another by not parking up on the footpaths. Incidently all the second cars were parked around both central greens, so are these all the same people who got fines off the Gardai continuing to flout the law.....Bandidos all!

I know in Charlesland Wood part 1 got fines, I'm in part 2 and wasn't fined :) , but I don't know if anyone was.

Hi Eoin...I am at the top in the cul de sac and I keep saying that I will drop in and have a word someday but I never get the nerve. My other half is getting fairly annoyed by it too. If you do go in, let us know what they say I will follow it up and go in myself if there is no joy. All they have to do is put a notice on their window asking the parents to be considerate to others when they park as this is a private residence. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the woman who runs the CG Montessori is named Rita. She's friendly, and I'm sure she'd be concerned to know that her neighbours are being put out.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote:
    the woman who runs the CG Montessori is named Rita. She's friendly, and I'm sure she'd be concerned to know that her neighbours are being put out.

She is indeed very nice, but she actually asked me once not to park outside my own place as that's where the parents park.

Hi Inch - Be careful when driving past those cars. At least, you're not reversing as you wouldn't want to smash into another of your neighbours car !!!

Thanks FVC...your sooooo funny!!!:D to all concerned FVC is my brother in law and lives a few doors down from me and I accidently ever so slightly brushed the edge of his bumper!!! I AM NOT A BAD FEMALE DRIVER!!:D
    cheeeese sauce!!

Advertisement