Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New penalty points

• 02-04-2006 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering are people going to stop filtering to the top of a queue now that you can get 2 points for "Failure to stop a vehicle before stop sign/ stop line"??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

overtaking stationary traffic is also illegal, or so im told.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

tk123 wrote:
    Just wondering are people going to stop filtering to the top of a queue now that you can get 2 points for "Failure to stop a vehicle before stop sign/ stop line"??

I don't think I will. Otherwise I may aswell get back into a car.

It'll just mean I'll be more vigilant and keep a closer eye out for the boys in blue. Only time will tell how strict they will be with motorcyclists on these new points

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

do their stats include no. motorcyclists vs. car drivers 'awarded' points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

why would you stop filtering? once you dont cross unbroken white lines etc, you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Tree wrote:
    overtaking stationary traffic is also illegal, or so im told.... :D

eh, I somehow don't think that is correct.

Regarding filtering, filtering in general is a grey area. I would suggest if you are comfortable doing it, do so up to the front of the queue. Wait at the top of the queue beside the first cars rather than going in front. Then you are still behind the stop line.

The only problem arises if another bike arrives up behind you. I would think that the best solution at the moment would be for the second and subsequent bikes arriving at the junction to wait in the gap behind the first/second/third etc car. I think we all know which bikes and drivers are more comfortable filtering than us so it is easy to let them by later after the lights go green.
    car car car
    -------------
    car car car

|car car car
    |bike---bike---
    |car car car

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Oooo pretty diagram !

This whole points business, I don't like it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I think I was over reacting - I thought there would be cops everywhere to enforce the new rules but I didn't see any this morning!! I chickened out this morning and stoped behind the stop line but then saw a bigger biker coming along behind me so I moved up and made a space for him out of courtesy... :D

nereid wrote:
    eh, I somehow don't think that is correct.
    a friedn of mine got pulled up by the cops for overtaking in the traffic in ballincollig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I had a motorbike Garda behind me this morning. Didn't say a thing to me about filtering. I did notice fewer cars in the hardshoulder of the M50 this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

i think it depends on the mood of who ever pulls you over, i work in the in a building that gets a lot of visits from gardai on their bikes, most of them wont be pulling over everyone for filtering as long as you are not doing it at a mad pace or anything stupid but youll get one or two that have just had an argument with wife/husband (hey its a free world they can do what they like) and will be waiting to take it out on the next person they see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Tree wrote:
    a friedn of mine got pulled up by the cops for overtaking in the traffic in ballincollig

ok, think about it.

You are following a taxi (at a safe distance ;) thanks to the PP for this now ;) ). Someone Hails the cab, which duely pulls over to the side of the road.

You react and slow down.

The taxi, is nicely in at the side of the road and there is adequate space around the car. There is no oncoming traffic and there is a dotted centre line.

You wait patiently behind the taxi because you are not allowed to overtake a stopped vehicle.

Hmmmmmm, this does not appear right. Or have I mis-interpreted your statement?

Oh, TK, You did well thinking that the Gardai would be out in force. I am doing the same. I saw a few and will be on best behaviour at least for the start to see what sort of line they take against bikers.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

If I stopped filtering, my commute time would increase by about an hour each way, so there's no way I'll be stopping. And the two Garda cars and one bike I, and another biker, filtered past this morning didn't seem to mind. If I come across one who *does* mind, I'll be sure and let ye know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Where the problem arises, is when at a junction, somtimes there is cross hatched white lies in the center of the road (right of your lane), or a continuous white line, Its when you cross this that the guards stop you. I have had it happen to friends.
    Also I was at a junction, and I filtered up the right, but made sure I stayed left of the white line, there was a guy behind me (bike), and out jumps a cop who was hiding around the corner, and pulled the other fella. Apparently this guy is famous for doing it at this junction.
    So just be careful and dont do anything silly.

Advertisement