Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian cats

Options
  • 02-04-2006 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054883275

Myself and my partner are vegetarians and the above discussion has come up a couple of times as to whether we should change our cats diets to the same. I'll be bringing it up with our vet but I'm wondering does anyone have a success story regarding this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't think it's fair considering cats are, and always have been, carnivores.
    If a cat doesn't eat meat, it will go blind.

The vegetarian society advises AGAINST a vegetarian diet for a cat, see here:
    http://www.vegsoc.org/info/catfood.html

IMO it would be animal cruelty to feed a cat a vegetarian diet, that's if you could even get the cat to eat vegetarian food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I would also say that this is cruelty towards the pet. While we humans can survive adequately if not better without any meat, as eth0_ points out a cat is a natural carnivore. To my knowledge a cats digestive system (unlike a dog) actually requires nutrients from meat that it can't process directly from other sources. Even assuming that it can be done getting the dietary balance right would be awkward. Also, a cat fed a non-meat diet will also be highly likely to attempt to get this meat from other sources.

I know vegetarians with cats and they would never do this to their precious pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cats cannot be fed on a vegetarian diet that link shown by eth0_ will tell you why. Dogs can but cats cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Cats are obligate carnivores - they're not designed to break down plant matter - all their veggie requirements are found in the gut of the plant-eating prey that they've killed.

Everything from their teeth to their digestive system is geared towards a protein diet, unlike a dog. Dogs are not obligate carnivores. I can understand that you might want to feed your cats on a veggie friendly diet (ie one that causes the least amount of suffering to the food source) but trying to make a cat into a veggie is IMO something that you would do more for yourself than for the health & wellbeing of your pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I read before that a vegetarian diet will kill a cat within a pretty short space of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Thanks everybody, sounds like a resounding no, and I'm sure I can hear my cats heave a sigh of relief! :D

Advertisement