Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable size for elec shower !

Options
  • 02-04-2006 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Recently dry lined my hall stairs and landing and as i was doing this we decided that we would also like to get the bathroom upgraded at some stage so i ran 6 square cable from the fuse box behind the dry lining to the bathroom for an elec shower . i asked in B&Q what cable i would need for a triton t90 shower and was told 6 square , problem now is the plumber tells me its not the right size .Any body what size i should have used or is 6 square ok .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

6 sq is perfectly ok.
    The Boffins are now saying it should be 10 sq but thats absolutly ridiculous.
    There are 100's of 1000's of shower wired in 6 sq with plently of room left in it.
    Besides it is next to impossible to make off a 10 sq cable into a shower switch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

6sq should be enough, but I'm not up to date on regs so it might have changed. Agreed 10sq is a bit awkward for fitting to a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

There are different KW ratings for the T90 shower, which one have you got. Also depends on the length of the run, 10 sq sounds like overkill but I have not looked at the regs for a while.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

I suppose i am lucky in that i have not bought the shower yet and so can probably ensure i get the lowest KW rated one . The cable length is aprox 8 metres from fuse box to fixing location .

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Put in a good ELCB circuit breaker in the fusebox and run the 6 square shower line through it, this will give good protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I suppose i am lucky in that i have not bought the shower yet and so can probably ensure i get the lowest KW rated one . The cable length is aprox 8 metres from fuse box to fixing location .

8 metres is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

anything over 15 yds i usually run 10sq to the switch and then a 6sq drop to the shower.it's mainly for voltage drop and some of the newer showers are higher output as well

Advertisement