Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharing Emails over a LAN?

• 02-04-2006 8:25pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

Is it possible for 2 computers over a network to share the Inbox emails?

So that I could access the emails from a 2nd computer, and if I retrieve emails from the email server, they all still arrive in the shared inbox?

Currently, both machines are using Outlook 2000, though I was considering Thunderbird, as it seems less resource-hungry than Outlook.

Any info would be appreciated.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What is the "email server"? Exchange?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

When I said email server, I meant the ISP's server, where emails lie until downloaded to PC. ISP is eircom.net btw.

Basically, want to know if I can modify some part of Thunderbird, so that the path to the emails file on 2nd PC, is the file on the 1st PC (main PC). So that both will be looking at the same emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Create a shared folder on one of your computers. Create an Outlook Personal Folder on that share, and have each copy of Outlook deliver all mail to that mailbox.

byte

Ah, thanks Aidan

Will try it out tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Alternatively check the box in Outlook to "leave a copy of the messages on the server for x days".

That way you can both access it without needing any shared folders, exchanges or what not.

• Advertisement
    byte

Thanks, that's another good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

Create a shared folder on one of your computers. Create an Outlook Personal Folder on that share, and have each copy of Outlook deliver all mail to that mailbox.

i tore my hair out sorting out a similar problem and as far as i can remember i tried the above and it didnt work ..... i have an up and running system now and it works using a program called easy2sync http://www.download.com/Easy2Sync-for-Outlook/3000-2369-10256117.html which works with outlook so maybe that's not what you want.
    the way it works is that you must have both computers on to do the sync ( obviously i suppose) and you run easy2sync on one of them - and to sync you must have outlook closed on the other pc and then you run easy to sync after you get your emails on the second machine - works fine but it's different to using an exchange server
    ps i do use a similar method to the above to sync my bookmarks between firefox on the two machines

Advertisement