Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Forestry.

Options
  • 02-04-2006 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

I think that the thirteenth Irish Forestry Plan must be due out sometime soon.

Anybody have any views on how good an investment this might be ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I looked at it briefly a while ago,if memory serves,I was amazed at how low the returns were,less than 3% a year,I think.
    Returns are tax free though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

i thought returns were a lot more than 3% .check out the website for historical returns.

http://www.irish-forestry.ie/forestry_investment_domestic_iff_overview.htm

My understanding of it is that the projected rates of return are cumulative figures,so the funds are increasing by less than 3% per year.
    I had a look at some of the accounts,and this appears to be the case.

I am open to correction on this

the returns were closer to ten percent from what i heard on askaboutmoney.com .

Follow the link

http://www.irish-forestry.ie/forestr...f_overview.htm

and have a look at the accounts,none of the funds on this page have returned
    an annualised return of greater than 2.5% over the last two years.

• Advertisement

they make the profits as the end when the timber is sold

That makes a lot more sense:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

the returns were closer to ten percent from what i heard on askaboutmoney.com .
    Whereabouts on AAM did you read this, Ron?

To get back to the original question, I was greatly disturbed that the fund employs a seperate company (which just happens to have the same directors as the fund) to carry out the maintenance on the forests at a fixed fee. This seems like a dangerous conflict of interest to me. All returns quoted in their ads are PROJECTED returns, and there is no guarantee at all as to what money you'll end up with when the fund is liquidated.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=6699&highlight=forest

The general opinion seems to be very negative on the Forestry funds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I bought shares in the 3rd Forestry fund about 6 years ago. At the time they projected an annual growth of 9% as all lending institutions did then. Now 13 funds later they know what the actual growth rates are (<3%) but they still predict an annual growth rate of 9%. Maybe it's an admin thing and that they only have to change the fund number in the brochures!!
    You can actually buy shares on the website and you can see what each of the shares are worth.
    thegills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

thegills wrote:
    Now 13 funds later they know what the actual growth rates are (<3%) but they still predict an annual growth rate of 9%. Maybe it's an admin thing and that they only have to change the fund number in the brochures!!
    The projected growth rate is just that - a projection. The selling of these forestry funds is effectively unregulated, so there are no restrictions on what projections they show in the adverts (unlike unit linked funds for example, where all sales documentation must show a standard projected growth rate of 6%. The projected growth rate is a meaningless figure.
    thegills wrote:
    You can actually buy shares on the website and you can see what each of the shares are worth.

Are you sure about this? This page from their site shows the share units for sale, but doesn't show any prices.

Advertisement