Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing scripts into SQL Server Express

Options
  • 02-04-2006 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

I am having trouble importing a database script into SQL Server Express. The script is from the Web Applications book for the Microsoft MCSD exams. My installation of SQL Server Express appears to be fine as I can login and create/delete databases through it. When I attempt to import the database script I get a variety of errors as follows:
    Msg 911, Level 16, State 1, Server ORTHANC\SQLEXPRESS, Line 1
    Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'Contacts'. No entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.
    Msg 15401, Level 16, State 1, Server ORTHANC\SQLEXPRESS, Line 1
    Windows NT user or group 'ORTHANC\SQLEXPRESS\ASPNET' not found. Check the name again.
    Msg 15410, Level 11, State 1, Server ORTHANC\SQLEXPRESS, Procedure sp_addrolemember, Line 80
    User or role 'aspnet' does not exist in this database.
    Msg 15410, Level 11, State 1, Server ORTHANC\SQLEXPRESS, Procedure sp_addrolemember, Line 80
    User or role 'aspnet' does not exist in this database.

I have added access permissions for the ASPNET user account on the SQL Server Express folder but that doesn't appear to have helped. I'm not sure if the error about contacts.mdf means that I should have a contacts.mdf created as a result of the script or whether it should be there to begin with.

This has me utterly confused. Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Well, I didn't think this was going to be a popular topic :D Anyway, for anyone awaiting the outcome of my tale of woe, the situation is as follows:
    The company I work for has a copy of SQL Server 2000 which is not in use that I installed last night. Typically, the troublesome script worked perfectly the first time I tried it.

I'm still at a loss to explain why SQL Server Express wouldn't work correctly but I will refrain from bashing Microsoft. Well, for now anyway!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

With Sql Server 2005 you have to be careful about how you create your db. If you create it in VWD for example it gets created as a file that will be dynamically attached at runtime. This is as opposed to using the management studio app and creating the db on the server. Not necessarily the reason for your difficulity but maybe.

What's VWD? Also I don't think any sort of "management app" comes with SQL Server Express. I was able to create databases through the sqlcmd command line but when I tried to import pre-written (by Microsoft themselves) scripts, that's when the fun started. I suppose once I've studied SQL Server for a while I will be able to understand what the issues are with the script.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

VWD = Visual Web Developer Express
    Sql Management Studio Express is a free Enterprise Manager equivilent for Sql Server 2005 express - deffinately a better alternative to running scripts on the command line.

Thanks for the link! I might install SQL Server Express and it on another box and see if I can progress any further with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement