Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantastic fireplace?

Options
  • 02-04-2006 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Folks

I need help! I had decided on a fireplace for our new house and to cut a long story short - I can't use it!!

So, I am now left with a 55 inch wide opening, 57 inch wide opening (yes, these are correct!! and I do mean inches!!). There is a 4 inch mantle in the blockwork at present. Because of the mantle I don't know what to do as a standard fireplace cannot be put in place unless I block up to the ceiling but then the depth of the opening is also huge!!

Anyone got any ideas on what I could do - I would like a nice marble Victorian fireplace but even if I get a fireplace big enough - the opening is too big????

So now my fab 40 ft sitting room is going to be a disaster - any ideas welcome!!

Thanks

Pitsy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Pitstop,

Sorry I am a little confused, am I right the fireplace ope is 55" x 57" ?

First thing that comes to mind is a an insert of some sort and you could then use a marble tile to finish the fireplace.

Any chance of a photo ? there are a lot of options for fireplaces now I'm sure someone will have an idea that can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

You could do the inside in a red / yellow brick (fireproof) And but a steel pasket inside that you burn logs etc... on. If I saw a pic it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

You could do the inside in a red / yellow brick (fireproof) And but a steel pasket inside that you burn logs etc... on. If I saw a pic it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

Thanks a million for the help

I will take a pic this evening and post - never thought of that. And Roofer Pete - yes, the opening is huge!

Thanks

Pitsy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Man that's huge. How wide is the chimney breast in comparison?

• Advertisement

I'm immensely impressed with the feedback - thanks for all the comments. I do now have a picture of the chimney at:

http://www.photobox.ie/album/2815966

So the type fireplace I want is:

http://www.english-chimneypiece.co.uk/reproduction_detail.php3?p=40&m=&l=6

Now I just need you guys to figure out how I marry the two. If I just plonk it in front - I will have a huge piece of wall on either side and will have a problem with the mantle - I think???

Thanks a million

Pitsy

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

I would line it all with salvage bricks - then put a solid fuel stove in. Then a big old beam for a mantle.

Hi Charlesanto

This was exactly what I wanted initally but it won't match the decor of the room now - so the room is going to be decorated in Victorian or Georgian style so I need a fireplace in keeping with it!!

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Pitsy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

pitstop wrote:
    Hi Charlesanto

This was exactly what I wanted initally but it won't match the decor of the room now - so the room is going to be decorated in Victorian or Georgian style so I need a fireplace in keeping with it!!

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Pitsy
    rent out Garden State and check out the fireplace in the inventor guys house... might give you an idea or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Pistop,

While not the cheapest way you can get a fireplace made with a wider than standard mantle piece to cover the extra 4", the company in the photo you posted should be able to make a fireplace with a wider mantle.

As to the width of the ope you could close up some of it and get a marble insert to suit the surround.

It is possible to get a simple but ornate insert called a "Dog" that would have been fairly common to the period that you are decorating to.

The brick surround mentioned by charlesanto would also be in keeping with the period, so a little "mix n match" and you should arrive at a nice finish.

• Advertisement

Thanks RooferPete and Charlesanto

I think I will try and ask the company to do a non-standard mantle and then use a dog basket - which as you say, is in keeping!

I just hope that the wider mantle (this meant it will be 17 inches!) will look in proportion!

Thanks again for all the assistance - this is such a great help!

Pitsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

You could consider filling out the 4" space with studding and plasterboard. You could then have recesses for glass shelves and have concealed lights shining up through them. Or you could create a recess for a flat panel TV. Maybe not your cup of tea but just a suggestion.

Tribesman

Have you thought about a career in interior design - this is an excellent suggestion and certainly my cup of tea - thanks a million!!

Pitsy

Advertisement