Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Considering buying a Fiat Brava

Options
  • 02-04-2006 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Im looking at the following car

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=273545

as a first car. Wat do ye think? What is the experience of Fiat Brava owners?? Good r Bad?? Should I consider buying and do you think €1500 is a fair price considering the car is a 99? Also I have a provisional licence for a few years now do you think I would be raped for insurance?? Would I be better going out on my own or goin as a name driver?

Cheers in advance for your comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

You know FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow...

My experience is that there's a lot of room for haggling regarding prices quoted on Carzone. If he gives you a years (?) warranty & you haggle the price down maybe it's worth a punt...

Personally I'd go for an older car with Jap/German engineering (SEAT Ibiza?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I think there was another thread similar to yours last week if you care to look it up. I think you'll find that most people would recommend a Japanese car as a Fiat will probably break you being your first car and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Have a look at last week's thread, have a look here too:
    http://www.fiatboo.co.uk/buy-a-bravo.htm

If 1500 is your budget then that is the newest car you're gonna get. Otherwise you'd be looking at an older tinnier jap car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

Fiat are sh*t. Steer clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Thanks for the pointers lads seems to me from looking through the msgs on boards.ie that buying a FIAT seems to be a bit hit and miss , sum r good and sum are pieces of rubbish. Id also like to hear from present owners of brava's get their view as for insurance wats likely to be the bad news??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

With regard to insurance, there really is no such thing as an average quote. The only way to know is to get out the Golden Pages and call every insurance agent & broker. Start off by telling them your age, that you're on a provisional, and that you have no NCB. This will save you a lot of time, as you won't be wasting it giving all your details to companies who won't even quote you anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

One Tipo and Two Bravo's later, stay well clear of any electrical problems, once they start going it just gets worse. .

Fuel pump died
    Clutch Seized
    Master Cylinder for Clutch ( garage said a common problem )
    Engine management
    Central locking (threw away the relay and back to manual)
    electric windows
    2 Exhausts
    2 Rear Wipers Motor
    Front wiper motor
    Dodgy door lock
    2 x Driver door hinge problems
    one electical problem where battery drains over 36 hours and it's not the glovebox or boot light
    one fanbelt broke and totalled engine

But apart from that they are nice to drive, the 1.4 is nippier than the 1.2. sunroof was nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Most of the present owners will tell you they're great cars and try to sell them to you and anyone who had one will tell you they're crap. Take it from me they're crap. Buy something Japanese for your own sake you won't go too far wrong. Even Hyundai's and Kia's are good value for small money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Had a bravo, can't say that many of the problems I had were uniquely FIAT, most were simply due to the age/mileage and the previous owner cutting corners on services.
    The problems that do exist with them that you won't see on a Jap car:
    1)Potential for ECU to die prematurely. Not extremely common.
    2)Airbag sensor problem. Almost every bravo/brava will have this problem. Not uniquely a fiat problem but far too common in these models.

Compared to cars of similar age and similar price I was more than happy with the drive and solid feel of the bravo.
    Very well geared for overtaking compared to the rest of the A-to-B cars I've driven since.

If it was me with 1500 in my pocket for a first car then yeah, I would consider it. But I know some good mechanics and my way around a scrapyard! You could be unlucky, it is heading towards an age and mileage where things could die on a Fiat that wouldn't on a toyota.

Advertisement