Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic prayers

• 02-04-2006 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hello all! :D

I'm currently in 6th year in school and we are organising a graduation ceremony. Although, my school is a community school and is supposed to be multi-denominational, the ceremony is too Christian and needs some prayers from different faiths. People in my year are always complaining about Islam because they're very ignorant so I want to prove them wrong by finding a nice Islamic prayer.

Does anyone know of any? Or any good websites. The prayer should relate to moving forward and new beginnings, something suitable for graduations.

Thanks! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

in islam there is salat and doaa.

salat is a compulsory prayer 5 times a day that follows a relativly generic pattern.

doaa is what you are looking for. It is a prayer in which you ask things from god and there are a number of them that are preset and generally practiced. I just don't know any in english I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

Hi UU,

Here is something the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) used to say when going out for the pre-dawn prayer. I think it's beautiful; but you must decide if it fits what you are looking for :)

'Allah! Put light in my heart, and light on my tongue, and light in my ears, and light in my eyes, and light behind me, and light before me. Allah! Give me light!'

All the best with your graduation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Thanks a million! That truly is a beautiful and "enlighting prayer". It might just do . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Hi UU,

If having a multicultural day perhaps you could read from the Quran to explain Islam to your classmates:

Surat9:29 Repentance

"Fight those who beleive not In Allah nor the last Day,
    Nor hold that forbidden which hath benn forbidden By Allah and His Messenger,
    Nor acknowledge the Religion Of Truth, from among the preople of the book,
    Until they pay the Jizya[*] with willing submission
    And feel themselves subdued"

[*] Jizya was a poll tax levied on those who did not accept Islam but lived within the Islamic state

Or, perhaps you could ask for a section to be non-religious and hence be sure not to discrimate against people ;)

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

This false accusation is already discussed here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51160599#post51160599

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Dinobot takes 1 weeks holiday as he had been warned beforehand not to post that sort of stuff.

Advertisement