Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter revision courses

Options
  • 02-04-2006 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Is anyone doing these? I'm doing Art history & English in the Institute for the first week. Quite handy, I'm out of there at 12:15 and I'd only be getting up at that time anyway so it'll be good to do them.

Anyone else doing any revision courses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Doing the Tute, all 7 subjects.. Art included.. two weeks...

3 Essays.. Yeah, but you need to have good essays, you should know that, you're doing history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Going to Yeats in waterford. English, Irish, French, Maths and Biology

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

im not going as i dont believe in paying for free education.

you can't buy respect or love, so you can take your revision courses and dump them. why should i pay for something i get for free anyway?

a big waste of money imo. get out there and enjoy your holidays, don't go to one of these study clubs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Do these things tend to be booked up though at this stage? I appear to have forgotten about them.

I also don't like the thought of having to sit down for any long length of time trying to cram information into my brain for a two week period.

Borrowing the notes off people seems like a nice idea although considerably less effective I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Well the main idea for these things isn't to cram but rather get decent notes, and get tips etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

smemon wrote:

you can't buy respect or love, so you can take your revision courses and dump them. why should i pay for something i get for free anyway?

a big waste of money imo. get out there and enjoy your holidays, don't go to one of these study clubs. :rolleyes:

Yeah, whatever.

*Tripper* wrote:
    Yeah, whatever.

love that song. anyway....... it's unecessary work, money and time. it's a lazy persons way out of studying, you just get everything handed to you (someone else's work and summaries).

thats not life my friends. mastercard can't buy you everything. how about raising the bar and trying to get A's by YOURSELVES. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I go to the tute an am thinkin of doin a cuple of courses!oops! shrimp seben by god!woah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

"It's a lazy persons way out of studying, you just get everything handed to you (someone else's work and summaries)"

it kills me to say it... but i find myself agreeing with smemon?!?

oh god.

i better leave now..!

anyways... lets not turn this into another public V private V the institute thread... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sariane

The leaving is stressful enough on students so if you can get help or for want of a better word get some of the work "handed" to you then why not? If you end up getting 600 points because of help from the institute then go for it what does it matter aslong as you get your course! Shrimp all 7 subjects, thats going to tough! I guarentee at the end of the 2 weeks you'll just have a big pile of notes on the ground... that'll you'll put off organising :rolleyes: you're choice but it would probably be more effective if you only did say 2 or 3 subjects but thats just my opinion! :cool:

Rockerette wrote:
    "It's a lazy persons way out of studying, you just get everything handed to you (someone else's work and summaries)"

it kills me to say it... but i find myself agreeing with smemon?!?

*high fives rockerette* together, we can beat these losers who go to easter revision courses :D we'll sho 'em. a bit of elbow grease and getting the old hamster running is the best way to get an 'A'.

put it this way; when you get a flat tyre and dont know how to change it, you might get help a few times and forget about it. but there'l be one time, just that one time, where nobody will be around, your mobile will be dead and your left on your own.

it's better just to learn how to do it yourself. *note to self; i should write books, that stuff is genius*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sariane

*high fives rockerette* together, we can beat these losers who go to easter revision courses :D we'll sho 'em. a bit of elbow grease and getting the old hamster running is the best way to get an 'A'.

1. How are they losers if they are getting good grades?
    2. If they end up getting their points because of revision courses.. who's going to know and who will care?!
    3. Your little analogy was irrelevant because they might have done a revision course in irish.. when will they ever use that again?

sariane wrote:
    1. How are they losers if they are getting good grades?
    2. If they end up getting their points because of revision courses.. who's going to know and who will care?!
    3. Your little analogy was irrelevant because they might have done a revision course in irish.. when will they ever use that again?

1. because theyve bought them. paid extra for them. bought other peoples notes effectively.

2. i care. i know. and so do those people. deep down they'll know it. no point in fooling yourself, you'll get what you deserve, there's no point in trying to cheat to boost results.

3. maybe if they become a teacher or translator? point taken, but stop trying to dis my wee analogy ;) ur just jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Right, so going by that logic every 'Less Stress More Success' book is cheating, every study guide with a paper is trash, every tip you've been given about studying is wrong because they give you an edge; in fact using your textbook at all is wrong! Be damned, education full stop is the root of all evil!!

Come on, how are grinds 'cheating'. Is it not up to us to prepare ourselves as best we can (without anything illegal) for the LC? Saying revision courses is cheating is absolute bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

smemon wrote:
    1. because theyve bought them. paid extra for them. bought other peoples notes effectively.

2. i care. i know. and so do those people. deep down they'll know it. no point in fooling yourself, you'll get what you deserve, there's no point in trying to cheat to boost results.

3. maybe if they become a teacher or translator? point taken, but stop trying to dis my wee analogy ;) ur just jealous
    You better get rid of your school books,otherwise you're buying "notes" and education.Also you must discard any notes you wrote yourself based on those books and start from scratch without any information from any external sources.

Edit:Just read Funkstards post after skipping it and noticed he said the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

smemon wrote:
    it's unecessary work, money and time. it's a lazy persons way out of studying, you just get everything handed to you (someone else's work and summaries).

thats not life my friends. mastercard can't buy you everything. how about raising the bar and trying to get A's by YOURSELVES. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:

yeh well i gotta say i agree with that. i did the leaving last yr and i found my friends who did these courses did not imrove their grades that much from the mocks.
    i mean its kind of rediculous to think that in ONE WEEK you will make a significant difference to the points you will get. you have been given two whole years to learn the information needed for this exam, one week will not make a difference.
    Also when u go out there and study yourself and engage with the material in the book and try to understand it, u will be able to answer your questions with a greater level of depth, which is what is needed. seeing my friends cart home an entire oak tree in paper a day was hilarious, because they ended up using them for about a week, making it some rather expensive recycling material.
    Revision can be done alone, you do not need to pay to sit in a class, to go over material. If u have a good set of peepers and a chair in ur room, well then ur in luck, your very own revision course, and its FREE!

my advice get the marking schemes of the dept of education website, and start using them.
    p.s. comparing 'less stress' books to institute grinds is pretty stupid, they do the same thing, but u can read them in your own time, they come with past papers and last time i checked are more than €100 cheaper, for the same service.

ed6hellsfresh, i applaud you.

its true.

learn things yourself.

i even notice when teachers hand me notes they've typed up, i dont absrob them or learn from them.

write them yourself, and ta-daa. you might learn something.

DonaldDuck, why would you discard notes you've written yourself??
    thats just a childish approach :rolleyes:

i knew this thread would turn into this kinda discussion.
    we're gettin predicatable in our old age...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

i mean its kind of rediculous to think that in ONE WEEK you will make a significant difference to the points you will get. you have been given two whole years to learn the information needed for this exam, one week will not make a difference.

I would disagree to a certain extent with that point. One week can make quite alot of difference, for example during the week before my French oral, my standard of French came on in leaps and bounds. I'd say the same thing about my Irish aswell.

If you're doing all seven or eight subjects over a one week period though, this might be different in which case my point is fairly redundant. Actually no, maybe it isn't, I got a fierce amount of revision done the week before my mock exams. But then again, I forgot a good part of it soon after the exams...

Rockerette wrote:
    ed6hellsfresh, i applaud you.

its true.

learn things yourself.

i even notice when teachers hand me notes they've typed up, i dont absrob them or learn from them.

write them yourself, and ta-daa. you might learn something.

DonaldDuck, why would you discard notes you've written yourself??
    thats just a childish approach :rolleyes:

i knew this thread would turn into this kinda discussion.
    we're gettin predicatable in our old age...
    You used a book you purchased,or were given to help you write them.Therefore its buying education as you were saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

smemon wrote:

I second that! Why would you pay for something you can get for free. It's a sign of people feeling pressure and paying to relieve it!

People go to these courses because they want high points. They want high pints to get a course in college. They want a place in College to earn some good money. Alot of high points courses have rewarding careers. Yet if you want to get really rich you don't pay for it. You HAVE to work. Most people have who go the easter revision courses obviously lack the self discipline to work for themselves and therefore will never be the wealthiest. The real entrepreneurs are the ones who go it alone.

Anyway. Is it not a bit of a paradox? Lets pay for something that I can get free so that I can get rich. I doubt any of todays millionaires paid for something they could get for free. Bit of a step in the wrong direction don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

The leaving dosent take account of whether you paid for your education or not. The reason teachers are teaching in the 'tute is because they are better than the free ones and are getting paid more because of it. At the very least doing one of these courses might give you a new perspective on a subject especially in subjects like english or history.
    Of course theyre not some magic potion that will suddenly improve your grades but they do help you along the way and might just give you some more confidence when facing the exams in june; especially if you dont have alot of faith in your teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Do people not realise that sometimes you need to be taught stuf wel!like chemsirty, math, pretty much everything. a lot of the time people hav **** teachers and hence go to revision courses!

NADA wrote:
    It's a sign of people feeling pressure and paying to relieve it!

if you want to get really rich you don't pay for it. You HAVE to work. Most people have who go the easter revision courses obviously lack the self discipline to work for themselves and therefore will never be the wealthiest. The real entrepreneurs are the ones who go it alone.

Bit of a step in the wrong direction don't you think?

spot on NADA, these people are gloryhunters, looking for maximum glory with minimum effort. they are greed personified and lack the self discipline to sit down and learn things for themselves.

these are the people who get things handed to them when they click their fingers. the 'throwaway' generation which is beginning to meander into our modern society. a1 in english plz :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I don't like the idea of grinds, but unfortunately the way the Leaving Cert is designed, it's a competition. You compete with other students for places. If there is something which helps me gain advantage in this I'm going to do.

Also, why is the lazy way? I do grinds as well as other study, not instead of study. Couldn't that mean I do more than those who don't do grinds?

I agree with the point that you can't pay for everything in life, you have to work for it. That's why I'm doing grinds. I'm putting the extra work, doing the hour or so of grinds instead of sleeping. Then I'm going home and doing extra time on that subject. For me, grinds mean more work.

Tom65 wrote:
    I don't like the idea of grinds, but unfortunately the way the Leaving Cert is designed, it's a competition. You compete with other students for places. If there is something which helps me gain advantage in this I'm going to do.

Also, why is the lazy way? I do grinds as well as other study, not instead of study. Couldn't that mean I do more than those who don't do grinds?

I agree with the point that you can't pay for everything in life, you have to work for it. That's why I'm doing grinds. I'm putting the extra work, doing the hour or so of grinds instead of sleeping. Then I'm going home and doing extra time on that subject. For me, grinds mean more work.

ive no problem wit dat. if ya work ur ass off for sumtin den yav earned it. however dossing about for 6 years den taking up grinds for 6mths and coming out with an A or B, i do hav a problem wit. people like that don't deserve a 2nd chance and should be left in the gutter to learn things for themselves as they only hav themselves to blame.

if u put in d work and dont leech off people just for d sake of improving ur results, den its not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

The reason teachers are teaching in the 'tute is because they are better than the free ones and are getting paid more because of it.

At the very least doing one of these courses might give you a new perspective on a subject especially in subjects like english or history.

they do help you along the way and might just give you some more confidence when facing the exams in june; especially if you dont have alot of faith in your teachers.

come on now lets not fool ourselves the teacher in the 'tute, as u like to call it, are not that much better than the 'free ones', the only time you hear the teaching quality being superior is in adverts taken about by, yes, the institute.the reason people think that the tute teachers are better is because of the methods by which they teach. i mean from what i can gather in the institute you are taught a subject in the context of answering a leavinc c question on it, and there is no denying it, in many of the subjects (yes i understand math etc excluded) you are spoon fed the right answer and told to right that.
    so to your other point u dont really recieve a new perspective on the subject you are not recieving a deeper philisophical look into the mind of poets etc, you are given the answer that the markers are looking for, and told to replicate it.
    and ironically the 'free ones' who try and actually teach you about the subject, make u understand it, i believe its called an education.

but this is not what the thread is about. . .

i think that in the space of 1 week you cannot make a significant discovery or achieve some enlightened view of a subject. especially if you are one of these people who think taking 7 subjects for however many euro is 'a good investment' you will not take it in, you will be burned out, and u will have wasted time and money.
    and if its not cannot, its definatly should not, you should not be relying on a one week course, two months away from your exams to help you. you have had TWO years to learn it.

cramming two years of material into one week, i mean common sense says it wont work. no?

cramming two years of material into one week, i mean common sense says it wont work. no?
    If it doesn't work you should care if some of us do the revision courses.If it doesn't work,people who get it shouldn't get an A or B as smenon(spelt wrong sorry) said.Because,it shouldn't make a difference?And therefore you wouldn't be critisising people that do them in this topic.If anything,these revision courses act more as a wake up call for people as it would help many of them reliese how much they need to do and often the notes you are given are much better than the information found in text books.

I would find it odd for someone to get an A or a B in any honorus subject without study themselves,I wouldn't believe someone if they told me that.Grinds wont change that,they still need to do work themselves.

Many schools,have extremly poor teachers for certain subjects..I know in my school for any students doing biolagy they are cursed with poor teachers,who would struggle to learn the course themselves-Never mind teach it.So if these people go to Ashfield Colleg or The Institute for grinds every week,or for the revision courses,are they really lazy?I know for a fact I couldn't teach myself some things in Physics or Accounting from books,I would need a teacher to explain it,can you honsetly say you could do everything yourself?

physics is my hardest subject, but i do all my work out of class.. (you really shouldnt sit besdie your friends... spend waaaay too much time talking). i use my textbook, and exam papers, a calculator, and a refil pad..

sin é.

the amount you learn in the good old fashioned way would probably surprise a lot of people.

a bit of cop on, and your textbook goes a long way...

i know everyone is different, but i feel as if too many people forget the fundamental requirements of studying, and instead rush out, desperate to get extra help, or shortened "simplified" notes, before they actually give 100% effort themselves.

• Advertisement

Rockerette wrote:
    the amount you learn in the good old fashioned way would probably surprise a lot of people.

a bit of cop on, and your textbook goes a long way...

exactly, even though people say you need something to be explained for you to understand it, i dont believe it.

for example, if i download some new software, say 'microsoft powerpoint', and i realise what it can potentially do, but dont have a clu how to work it, i'll fiddle about with it and explore every possible option and by trial and error i'll have mastered it by myself.

i wouldnt dream of paying for someone to teach me it as it's a lazy way out, plus you dont learn as much from other people as you do by yourself.

to quote a genius (me): "the most intelligent person i know is myself". i believe thats the same for all of us.

Advertisement