Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter revision courses

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

NADA wrote:
    They want high pints to get a course in college.

That point just works for me on so many levels!:D

what you people think about free revision courses then? Is that cheating too?

NCI have free courses....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

what you people think about free revision courses then? Is that cheating too?

NCI have free courses....

no, thats just good sense. you don't turn down anything that's free if it benefits you in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

hhmmm i'd disagree.. well, i dunno really.

if its near you.. and it doesnt take too much effort to get there, adn you wont be wrecked by the end of the week, go for it.

but otehrwise, stay home, rest, relax, recouperate at your own ease, and study from home is my advice.

tis what im doing anyway.. but sure what would I know..

at the end of the day, its not the financial aspect i have the problem with. its the fact that people dont put in enough effort themselves.

i agree with what smemon said a posts back back up ^ about people who did sweet **** all for 5 years, now go and ultimately pay to make up for it. im not saying they dont put in effort, its the fact theyre only bothering with it this year.
    and yes, im surrounded by people like that.

(yes, im one of those nerdy kids who have done their homework everynight since first year.. studied for every test.... im not for a second sayin that makes me better than anyone else, but well... i have never got a grind in my life, or bought a less stres... book, cos i really dont feel like i need them.. over the last 6 years i've learnt that putting in actual effort BY YOURSELF can get you some damn good results.)

but sure, none of us really care what the rest of us think, its not gonna stop us going or not going to these revision courses...

so yeah..

pigeons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

I prefer the lazy way out:
    Do nothing for junior cert
    Do nothing in fifth year
    Grinds in 6th year.

And to be completly honest,I wouldn't change anything if I could re-do school.I had a lot of fun for 1st,2nd most of third all of 5th and start of 6th year.I did homework in important subjects though for 5 year.

And I am completly aware its an awful attitutude to have towards school,but in the mocks I got well above what I needed and didn't fail any subjects so it worked fine for me.I started my study in november/december then I started getting grinds in january as an extra bit of help.

I may not have done as much work as some people(Like Rockerette) but I still do work.I wouldn't beleive anyone saying they did no work to even get 300 point.They may no do as much work as you,but they do put work in.

(I am quiet aware though there are people who do no work till easter,get notes,do no work until the end of may,but these people rarely ever do well still...)

• Advertisement

get the points...

in any way you can...

people pick "easier" subjects to maximise their points, do extra subjects to act as safety nets, get grinds in subjects they're weak in, get grinds in subjects they want an A1 in.

Students are Students, the leaving cert is a competition, who wouldn't want an edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

They're called 'revision' courses, not 'cram a 2 year course into 5 days' course. I have been working over the last 2 years, and as I start revising for the LC of course I want to know what areas to look over more than others, what are the most important things to know in the course and whatnot.

I'm sorry, but can anyone tell me they they studied the whole course in detail for the exam? Unless you did then you can't say a thing about people who do revision courses

Funkstard wrote:
    of course I want to know what areas to look over more than others, what are the most important things to know in the course and whatnot.

look at previous exam papers - thats what i do for every subject, and the most important things are obvious, as they keep asking them..

basic cop on goes a long way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Whether the teachers in the institute are better or not; or whether their methods are questionable is beside the point; it seems as if you are somehow cheating if you pay for extra help to do well in the leaving cert. The main function of the LC exam nowadays seems to be to filter people for college . Yes its imperfect, its not based purely on the effort you put in. Two people may put in the same amount of effort and get very different results in the end. Yes its unequal as well, as not everyone is able to afford grinds.

But thats the way things work, a system where everyone has the same education is a communist one and that didnt exactly turn out well. Even without places like leeson street theres still inequality between schools; a ballymun school is likely to be worse that one in malahide.

The methods used in places like the institute arent really questionable. There is such a thing as a better teacher. Teachers in ordinary schools are just as exam focused. The idea that you get a higher quality education in a public sch. isnt really true. At the end of the day youre competing with everyone else.

That said theyre no substitute for hard work; they help you work better and more intelligently; but they dont mean youll have to work less

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

But thats the way things work, a system where everyone has the same education is a communist one and that didnt exactly turn out well.

i disagree, communist countries have the best health and education systems in the world. communism works- when it comes to satisfying basic needs and rights.

obviously when it comes to making profit and reaching self fulfillment, communism falls on it's rear end.

everyone should be given the same shot in life, same education, same health facilities etc.. but should people fail to appreciate this education, they shouldnt be allowed buy themselves into college and ultimately onto a higher standard of living.

imo, it's too easy to pass the leaving and too easy to get 600points with grinds/ private colleges available. it reminds me of titanic where 'the better half' were put on lifeboats first, with the rest life to rot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

I think at the end of the day it's not going to make a major difference. It's about the effort you put in and your capability to memorize. Your commitment.

No matter what they might say, you can't buy your LC results. Sure you might go off and get brilliant notes and hire a personal study adviser or something like that but you still have to sit down and learn the material. Nobody can learn it for you.

There's no such thing as cheating in terms of preparing for exams. The information is there for everyone to understand and learn. You either learn it or you don't, it's as simple as that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

With the fierce competitive nature of the education system we have in place here (though it does give you a more rounded education than say, the UK, in my opinion, and I also find it better than continual assessment that many countries have), I think if you're given the opportunity to maximise your results by grinds, revision books, extra subjects, whatever, and you feel you're up to putting extra time in it, then go for it.

I'll use myself as an example here. I got a B in my maths mock. My maths teacher says his classes usually go up about 15% from the mocks, which means I should get an A in my Leaving, with similar work as I've done til now/ a bit more effort. But, I need to get an A1 from this. I know there's a decent chance I'd get an A1 without grinds, but I need as close to 600 points in my Leaving (medicine :( ), so I decided a few weeks ago to start getting grinds, oddly enough, from my maths teacher. Now I find in a situation which is much quieter than my class, that I can get all the toughest c parts out. And all I need is a bit more of a push, and my teacher is the type that will get the best out of you one way or another. I'm delighted that I decided to get grinds, and I don't think I'm getting an unfair advantage. I pay for these grinds with money I'd saved up, I'm not relying on my parents. So who is anyone to judge what I choose to do with my money? I could mock many people for wasting it getting drunk (at least I'm doing something constructive like!), but that'd be just about as pointless as this entire discussion is. :p

If you want to use these methods to just increase your chances of getting the highest grade you can, by all means do. (Btw, on the other side, I think practicing papers on a regular basis is on a similar level, but setting aside the time for it is another thing. Grinds just ensure that you do take that time, that's why they're so effective.)

Do what you want, it's your leaving cert, study/don't study, get grinds/hate grinds, write in Blue/Black..

Who cares??

write in black.

always.

blue is a horrid horrid colour for pens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Rockerette wrote:
    write in black.

always.

blue is a horrid horrid colour for pens!

How. Black is so boring. I can't stand black pen. I rather green!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 emma.oshea

guys what do ye think of examsupport.ie???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Jesus christ superstar, are you trying to get us to do a report for you. Your only getting a very tiny minority of LC students here. **** sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 emma.oshea

tripper quit trippin out...Dont let the Lc get to u.I'm not tryin to piss ye off just wonderin if ye have tried and tested, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Sorry bout that, one of those days. It should be sunny.

Advertisement