Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool advice please?

Options
  • 03-04-2006 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

What would you recommend for drilling/cutting equipment for the use in small electrical devices, ie drilling 3/4 mm holes in metal plates with precision, like this pic;

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you want clean edged, perfectly round holes of that size in sheet metal, you're probably looking at so-called hole cutters, sometimes called hole-punches (even though that's a bit of a misnomer, since there's no 'punching' involved).

You drill a pilot hole first, put the appropriate sized cutter, which is on a threaded rod, through the hole, place a nut on the thread and then tighten it up. The tightening action draws the cutter tighter against the sheet metal and the cutter then cuts through the metal leaving a nice clean hole.

You're looking at a maximum material thickness of a couple of mm for these kinds of tools. Should be able to get a set from somewhere like McQuillans I would think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

for 3/4 mm holes?

can't imagine you'd get such a device.

if you want clean round holes you need good bits and a steady drill, and generally a nice slow speed on the bit.

a drill press is ideal, but to get an accurate one is gonna cost you i would say upwards of 200 euro, but it's gonna be quite big then.

i'd say a good cordless and sharp bits is your best bet

and a quick shot of a centre punch to mark the hole will keep the bit centred

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A lot of the PC case modders use Dremmels to cut out shapes/holes in their cases...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭roger 2006 yeah

Thanks lads, I went and bought a Rotary Hobby Multi Tool 135W With Standard Accessories, Boxed with Guarantee - €39 on eBay.

:)
    Ideal for Small or Intricate Work Such As Grinding, Engraving, Cutting, Polishing etc.

135W motor - 230/240v
    Electronic control variable speed 10 - 33,000 RPM
    Standard accessories include mandrels, cutters, bits, sanding bands & discs, grinding stones, polishing wheels, wire wheels etc. and carry case
    Guarantee...
    Manufacturer guarantees this tool to be free of defects caused by faulty materials or workmanship for 3 years. Naturally fair wear and tear is not covered.
    02_1_b.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I use these Uni Bits but don't know if they are available in Ireland. The brands I know of are Klein Tools and Irwin. Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

JohnBoy wrote:
    for 3/4 mm holes?

can't imagine you'd get such a device.

Oops ... for some reason I read 3/4 inch holes ... !! Must get that eye test sometime soon :)

Anyway, for drilling small holes like that, what you've got is fine, but I'd invest in a mini drill press for it to avoid the drill bit wandering, and also try and keep the drill bit extending from the chuck as little as possible. A 3/4mm drill bit is awfully fragile.

Advertisement