Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compiere and opentaps

• 03-04-2006 4:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Has anybody here used either of these ERP systems. I'm evaluating both of these as a platform I will use for some potential contract work. Would love to get some feedback from users here. The first client I may have is in the manufacturing domain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 themurt

I've looked at Compiere several times over the past couple of years and am in the process of putting together a POS solution for a client of mine using Compiere.

In manufacturing, the suitability of Compiere depends largely on the sophistication of the client. If they are predominantly kit-builders and don't have massively complex bills of materials then Compiere might be a fine solution. If they have a requirement for heavy duty production scheduling then you might want to look elsewhere as (to the best of my knowledge) Compiere doesn't have a fully-fledged MRP system and only redimentary production planning.

Hope this helps, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I agree with your point about BOM's. The particular company assembles non-complex products and sub-assemblies so I'm pretty confident that Compiere or Opentaps could handle this. Interestingly the makers of OpenTaps are unveiling their latest version at the MySQL conference in Santa Clara end of April. Should be very interesting to see what they can offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Just wondering about your POC of Compiere. Are you using Oracle as the backend or is it possible to use an alternative to compieres stipulation for an Oracle database?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 themurt

I think one of the main reasons for not going with Opentaps is the current absense of real functionality in the financials area. If your client has an existing finance package then be sure you can interface the two systems before going with Opentaps. While Compiere isn't exactly advanced in this area, it does feature GL, AR, and AP. (Payroll is a problem as usual but easily sorted without too much hassle through interfacing with a dedicated package).

The system I'm putting together is going to run on Oracle, using the developer edition available from the Oracle Technet site for trial purposes, if the client decides to go ahead then I'll recommend taking out support with Compiere as they embed the Oracle licensing fee as part of the support charge. At the moment, Compiere is fully supported on Oracle 10g as they plan to retire support for the 9i version soon. According to the Compiere site, the system can also run on Sybase but I've never seen this done and it's not yet fully supported. The dependance on Oracle is probably the single biggest weakness of Compiere as it tacks on a significant cost to any installation.

There are attempts being made by Compiere and others to get true database independence, but these ports are still mainly in Beta. I'd love to see Compiere fully supported on MySQL for a totally free (in every sense of the word) solution, but it would be great if there were a SQL Server version seeing as how many smaller organisations are using Windows Small Business Server and SQL Server comes with it - imagine how easy a sell this would be to any client for their first ERP system?!

Advertisement