Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone Points

Options
  • 03-04-2006 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. moved into a new house and have 2 out of 3 points to fit. other was done as standard. the other two have the wires there etc. i just want to know are they hard to fit do you think>?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi blahblah06

Should be easy. Just see which two wires are connected on the original and follow the same for the other two.

Or just buy wireless phones and have the base station in the first connection.

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

alright gar. feck it anyway if i had of thought of the wireless option could have saved a few bob. one of the points is for the net so im glad ti hear its easy to fit. ill pop down to woodies and get the parts. nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yeah, its really easy. I got the kit many moons ago from TE and the wires were colour-coded. The hardest part is probably running the cable to where you want them ... now, everything is wireless :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Standard phone cables have 4 wires - orange, orange stripe, blue and blue-stripe. Generally, eircom seem to only use the 2 blue wires (blue and bluestripe ones. The orange ones are usually redundant.

Best to make sure first though.

well that was a pain in the arse. i have put the wires to the way it shows in pic and have left the green and brown out. it just wont work yet its wired the same as downstairs. have you got any idea lads

• Advertisement

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

sorry to hijack blahblah, but I've to do something similar, but the phone cables the sparks ran in are actually CAT5e cables and I want to terminate these with normal phone connections (RJ11 I think). Sparks is girlfriends brother and is away but I need to get this done to put in an alarm dialler so any help is much appreciated.

Its also in a loop so 2 cables going to each point.

awww help me first guys hahaha

Hi blahblah06

I would check to see if the new cable is wired back at the junction box correctly.

What you can do is check which wires are used on the original and trace it back to the POE (point of entry) and see if the new cable matches the two of the original.

This should give you the two coloured wires that the new line is using.
    Or are you daisy chaining from one terminal to another?

Garyh3

alright gar.

well all i have done is checked the connectors going into the main line for the first socket that eircom did and they have it wired up the way i do so i tried to do the same thing but its not working at all. my head is wrecked and i dont wanna have to pay some geezer to come out and do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

blahblah06 wrote:
    alright gar.

well all i have done is checked the connectors going into the main line for the first socket that eircom did and they have it wired up the way i do so i tried to do the same thing but its not working at all. my head is wrecked and i dont wanna have to pay some geezer to come out and do it

Are you chaining it off an existing box?

Ok crude method not recommended !!!

Take the wires off the new terminal phone point and switch the two blue with the other. does not matter which way to see if you get tone!

If that does not work then a really really crude method is to take all the wires off and then take one of the blue and fix it to one of the terminals and then touch the other blue on the other terminals until you get tone.

if that does not work try the method on the other two wires.

That is you have to have the phone plugged in at the time

Garyh3

Boggles wrote:
    Are you chaining it off an existing box?

dont get ya at all. the wires were all there when we moved in

garyh3 wrote:
    Ok crude method not recommended !!!

Take the wires off the new terminal phone point and switch the two blue with the other. does not matter which way to see if you get tone!

If that does not work then a really really crude method is to take all the wires off and then take one of the blue and fix it to one of the terminals and then touch the other blue on the other terminals until you get tone.

if that does not work try the method on the other two wires.

That is you have to have the phone plugged in at the time

Garyh3

So its really just trial and error at this stage. god my head is wrecked. Ill give it another go this evening and see if i have any luck

thanks gar

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

blahblah06 wrote:
    So its really just trial and error at this stage. god my head is wrecked. Ill give it another go this evening and see if i have any luck

thanks gar

Well more of a process of elimation. Do what garyh3 said, won't take that long.

Hi blahblah06

Well You need to check to see if they have connected both ends of the line? It it going back to the original eircom box that comes into the house or have they put the wire from the 1st telephone point to the new box (like a daisy chain?)

Just make sure that all the lines are connected

Garyh3

i dont think its a daisy chain. i think it jus goes to the box so i will check that when i get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Couple of things you might check

1. are there too many devices on the line? There's a limit depending on what type of device you're using (hard of hearing bell, modem, phones, etc), due to the amount of current they draw. Plug out all devices, check a simple phone on each terminal. If it works on one and not the other..then...

2. Could the extension wire internally have a break? To check this you could go to one end of the cable and connect two wires together. Then at the other end use a continuity checker to see if the connection is made. Repeat for the other wire. If you don't have a continuity checker, which you probably don't you could use a simple torch bulb and battery. Hold the battery to the bulb base to one wire. Put the other wire to the outside (metal casing) of the bulb. If the bulb lights you have a connection. If the wires are ok then..

3. Check all the connections again. The telephone cable has 4 wires inside. The two on the inside are used for your normal telephone. The two on the outside are used for data (modem). If your phone is working but your modem is not, then it's most likely one of the two outside wires that have the problem.

4. If you're still having trouble, just get a wireless router (or wireless phone) ;-) Best thing I ever bought.... actually didn't buy it, got it free from ntl, but still.

byte

Eircom wires are usually blue, bluestripe, orange and orange stripe.

Some wires in a socket, or on internal RJ11 cables, are different colours.

They're usuall Yellow, Green, Red, and Black.

Generally speaking, Eircom use the 2 blue wires on their cable. On the other coloured cables, it's generally Green and Red that are used. The lightest colour, Yellow, and darkest colour, Black, are not used.

Hi byte i tried the blue and orange into red and green but there is still nothing. any idea at all? and i also tried orange on its own and blue on its own.

do i need to have a phone plugged into the main socket for it to work or does it matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 KILRB

hi, can you advise which type of socket is your main socket. Is it just a standard socket box or is it one of the eircom boxes with the removable front piece? If so, this might be part of the problem if you are not connecting to it correctly. Basically if this is the case you need to connect to the L1 and L2 connectors.

If it is not an eircom box then you can try the following. Instead of running from room to room you could go to your main socket and bring your new socket with you. Take a picture of how the main socket is wored so you will remember then completely remove all the wiring. Now connect up your spare socket in the exact same manner. You should at least get a dial tone. If you don't there is a possibility there is something wrong with the socket. You can either play around with this by trying different wire combinations on the points until you get a tone or you can go get a new socket and retry.
    When you finally do get a dial tone you should remember how the socket is wired. You can then wire the spare socket wire back into the main connection in the exact same configuration. Then connect the spare socket in the desired location.
    Good luck with it.

Does it look like this ??? (eircom socket)

L1 and L2 and on the pick below.
    The Eircom box has two parts to it.

Part one is for the incoming line
    Part two is the smaller with the telephonbe socket on it.

The 1st pic is the front of the Part 2
    The 2nd Pic is the back of the Part 2 it shows L1 and L2 this is what you put the two (blue usually) wires onto when you are running an extension.
    Hope this helps

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Don't fit more than 3 extra sockets in a house 4 is the maximum permitted including the Eircom Master socket. Anymore and it will cause breakdowns and mess up your dial-up. If a problem arises and you report it to Eircom and they find that such a problem was caused by your extensions and your internal wiring beyond their own master socket. They will charge you to rectify it, Especially if you are not a customer of theirs if you are gone over to Smart or Tele2 etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It depends on whether the socket is populated or not. Your homeline has a maximum REN (ring equivalent number) value which I think(!!) may be 4 . Each device attached has its own REN value and the total should not exceed four.

byte

I was thinking along the lines of blue and blue-stripe into red and green.

Advertisement