Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Jamie Oliver ad

• 03-04-2006 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I think it's an ad for Sainsburys or one of them. He takes his beef out of the oven, covers it roughly with foil (as in it barely covers the joint) and leaves it for *20 minutes*!!!

Twenty minutes? Surely it would be practically cold by then. I know you should leave meat to settle on a hot plate (I assume his plate is hot), but 20 minutes?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

twenty minutes doesnt sound excessive for a large piece of meat. i dont know the ad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

You need to allow the meat to "rest" after it comes out of an oven for tenderness.
    Basically the muscle fibres contract when they are in the heat of the oven and muscles are meant to contract.
    If you take it out of the oven and let it cool the fibres relax and stretch out a bit again making the meat more tender.
    20 Minutes is normally about the recommended time, if you do it on a warmed plate then that might help.
    If the meat is cold you can flash it quickly under a salamander or a grill to get the surface temperature back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

A little off topic, but what would the best cut of of beef be for roasting? I used Jamie Olivers technique yesterday for an 'Eye of the round' cut of beef and while the taste was good, the texture was very tough and almost uneatable. I'm just trying to figure out whether it was the cut we used, the quality of the meat or the cooking technique that made it so tough. Any pointers gladly accepted to save Jaw muscle burnout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

lemeister wrote:
    A little off topic, but what would the best cut of of beef be for roasting? I used Jamie Olivers technique yesterday for an 'Eye of the round' cut of beef and while the taste was good, the texture was very tough and almost uneatable. I'm just trying to figure out whether it was the cut we used, the quality of the meat or the cooking technique that made it so tough. Any pointers gladly accepted to save Jaw muscle burnout!

Use this recipe by Heston Blumenthal
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/roastwingribofbeef_74821.shtml

Dont worry about the step with the blowtorch, he only does that cos the Health and Safety guys in the UK were not happy with the recipe as it stood.
    The basis is that collagen breaks down with time and turns into Gelatin.
    The time may seem excessive but it makes a really nice piece of red medium rare meat.

Advertisement