Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Question: NTL Broadband on 'new' machine..

• 03-04-2006 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

I live in London, but my sister has NTL broadband at her home in Dublin. She has just gotten a new laptop from work and she cant get it to go online with her NTL for love nor money.

There is feck all I can do from London [esp as I dont know the system at all?]. But she is ringing me for help, so Im hoping someone here has NTL and knows the score?

I use telewest over here, and its all DHCP, so you plug anything in and it magically works. Im amazed if you need to change your windows settings for NTL to work etc..

The one thing I wonder, is that with telewest you used to have to register the mac address of every machine using the system, could that be it?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Simply connect the ethernet cable from the NTL modem straight into the ethernet port on the laptop.

You will then need to power cycle the NTL modem (unplug it for 30 seconds and plus back in), it should work then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dillon_the_rabb

Greets from the Emerald Isle.

I have NTL, and it has always been a case of plug in and away you go. One thing I would check on the lappy, is that all the TCP/IP settings are set to automatic and not "use the following IP" etc. Make sure that TCP/IP is set to get ip's by DHCP.

Also, check that she is not using a firewall, and has blocked all outgoing and incoming connections etc.

Finally, make sure that the network port on the lappy is enabled, because when I got my wife her laptop, the modem was enabled, but the network port wasn't.

As for registering MAC addresses, you don't need to go to a specific page like in the UK (I'm from London myself!), and register your NIC or router, but it may be done invisibly, I honestly don't know.

Thats all I can think of, if she is still having problems, I'm afraid she'll have to resort to calling the noddies at good old NTL tech support.

Good Luck!! :D

Matt
    aka
    DTR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

NTL work in such a way that when you get the connection in the house or wherever, the first system that is connected to the modem registers the MAC address with that connection/NTL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

You can use a different PC, or a broadband router etc, with your NTL cable modem (at least in Ireland). I have done so many times.

You may have to power cycle the cable modem to get it to assign an IP address to a new nic (which will have a different MAC address) but NTL do not restrict you to just one MAC address. When the cable modem RDY light comes on, reboot the laptop and it should get an IP address via DHCP.

If this does not work, then there is most likely a problem with the configuration of the laptop itself.

The MAC address of the cable modem is registered to NTL/your account during initial setup of the service, so you cannot change the cable modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Thanks lads! After the tip off here it turns out that the laptop's network port was disabled by default!

What kind of muppet sells a business specced laptop with the network port turned off in this day and age?

Sorted now anyway..

• Advertisement
Advertisement