Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purchasing XP Pro OEM

• 03-04-2006 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm looking at purchasing XP Pro OEM from komplett. I have heard in order to get the OEM version, you must purchase a piece of hardware at the same time. So, lets say I buy a floppy drive for €10, this would be classed as hardware as opposed to a hard drive or motherboard? Just want to check first with anyone who has gone down this road before.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I was thinking of doing the same thing this week. Would love to know how this works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I was in Peats, Parnell Street and it was sumthin' like €200 odd. Ok, I know Peats aren't the cheapest, but if I cud get XP Pro from komplett for €160 odd, so be it!

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thx.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think you can even buy it with a mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

This used to be the case, I would imagine it still is.

Cheers guys. I will email or ring komplett just to be certain.

Thanx again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've not heard of microsoft prosecuting a dealer for selling OEM with something that isn't a processor or cpu. Since microsoft OEM licenses would probably be the most common on the planet, if the intended to procecute then you could point out that millions of copies have been sold over the last decade ... my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah I got a MS mouse and XP pro OEM with it.

thx sparky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

humaxf1 wrote:
    I was in Peats, Parnell Street and it was sumthin' like €200 odd. Ok, I know Peats aren't the cheapest, but if I cud get XP Pro from komplett for €160 odd, so be it!

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thx.

It's actually €179. As far as I'm aware, your only allowed purchase an OEM copy of windows if your buyng a hard drive with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Anyone see Dell's latest laptop offer for €399 incd vat and delivery with the Sunday Independent? If an OEM version of windows was going to be €179, tbh you are well on the way to a complete barebones laptop. Not that I think a celery cpu is that great but it's fine for surfing and basic work. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Loads of people are saying they seen this offer in The Independent, I got a letter from Dell saying they are offering me a laptop for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

OEM sends shivers down my spine. Microsoft seem to look down on such users!

I want XP Pro. See it in PC World for €260.

Just want to know what's actually in the retail edition? Some manual? Stickers?!!

Also, I've been trying to find itemised differences between XP home and pro. Clearly Google doesn't like me [or my search terms]. Anyone have any links to such info? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

ethernet wrote:
    OEM sends shivers down my spine. Microsoft seem to look down on such users!

I want XP Pro. See it in PC World for €260.

Just want to know what's actually in the retail edition? Some manual? Stickers?!!

Also, I've been trying to find itemised differences between XP home and pro. Clearly Google doesn't like me [or my search terms]. Anyone have any links to such info? Thanks.

Have a look at these.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx (microsoft comparison)

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp (good detailed article)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

The major differences between Home and Pro depend on what you want it for.

a : about €60

b : Home can only set itself up as a workgroup not a domain. Workgroups can only connect to 10 other pcs. - XP Pro larger networks etc. Domain - Active Directory Server, Corporate lan etc.

C : Diagnostics and Admin. Home has a very restricted version of true Administrator, only accessible through Safe Mode. and even then a lot of diagnostics not available even in Administrator.

OEM of either Home or Pro is tied to the Bios chip on the motherboard when it is first registered. If your motherboard fails and you need a new one you technically need a new licence, it is possible your old licence key will not work.
    Retail version should technically be per seat not per machine and as long as only one version of this is live at any one time you can replace your pc and legally replace the XP and licence to that PC.

There is increasing restriction on what you can buy OEM package with some English sites refuse to sell me OEM unless I buy the entire machine from them.

Komplett is still fairly reliable though I bought a hard drive and OEM Pro fairly recently no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Many thanks for those replies and links.

XP pro for me. Want to set up a home server and need greater control over who accesses what.

Advertisement