Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Cup Group Two, JUDGEMENT DAY!

• 03-04-2006 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Shelbourne -v- Derry
    Linfield -v- Glentoran

It's all come down to this for Shelbourne, Linfield and Derry. Only two can qualify, and all three sides will have their sights set on possibly winning the group. A home tie against Drogheda awaits the group winners, while a trip to the cross faces the runners-up. Should be a cracking atmosphere at Tolka tonight. Get down there if you aren't up to anything else!
     SETANTA CUP GROUP 2                    
                 P   W   D   L  F    A   Pts
     Shelbourne  5   2   2   1  6    2     8
     Linfield    5   1   4   0  6    4     7
     Derry City  5   1   3   1  4    3     6
     Glentoran   5   1   1   3  5    12    4

Anyone know which one Setanta are showing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Shels and derry is the live game, which should be a cracker..

fancy shels to beat derry and linfield to beat glens, giving shels drogheda at home and linfield away to us.. whatever happens it will be a tough game for cork city..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dan Connor will be suspended for the semi-final for Drogheda, and their reserve keeper Charlie Tracey is injured. Another massive incentive for Shels to win, not that they should really need one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I expect Linfield to beat Glentoran anyway so it will come down to the Shels and Derry game. Derry will know that its likely that Linfield will win leaving them having to win. Shels will also be going for the win to finish top so I see a great game tonight with plenty of attacking football with both having to win. I think Shels might win it by the odd goal but I expect Derry to score.

Derry have to win regardless of the Linfield score (because Linfield don't do defeats!). I'll probably be happy with a draw, but I don't want to see Shels going all out to win the game and leaving themselves exposed at the back. It really will be do or die stuff, its a classic scenario! Really looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I have peter hutton to score 1st at 22/1 and Derry to win 2-0 at 20/1. so i know who im up for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'm so up for this! Cannot wait! :D Forza Shels!

I thought we were friends Einz what about my bet, lol. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wish I could go to this game, I always enjoy the atomsphere Derry bring to Tolka Park. I'll be relying on text updates, you know what to Einstürzende :D

If my bet comes up i'll buy you all a drink to cheer y'all up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

its all down to the shels derry imo as Linield will beat the Glens. I can see a 1-1 draw which is enough for shels to go through

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Linfield and Shels both 1-0 up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

4-0 to linfield.

i predict a 5-4 win for glentoran..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Bloody text is as slow as me arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Group Two - Monday, 3 April

Windsor Park - result

LINFIELD 6 (Hunter 25 pen, Thompson 41 86, McAreavey 56 82, Murphy 61)

GLENTORAN 0 (Glendinning s/o 40)

Tolka Park - result

SHELBOURNE 1 (Byrne 17)

DERRY CITY 1 (Martyn 90)

kdjac

Aw jaysus, that was a bit of an anti-climax. Pleased to be still in it, but all we had to do was play keep ball and we could have avoided a 200 mile trek to Cork (hint hint Bobby Ryan). Not the great game I was expecting, very few chances for either side.

Derry are a good side, they make it very difficult (we still haven't beaten them under Kenny, thats 8 games now) but we should have been able to hang on tonight. Crowe had a great chance to wrap it up with about 2 minutes left, but he hit it with his right foot, and right at David Forde.

Williams - 7 - Haven't seen a replay but I think he could have done a lot better for the goal. Took all his crosses well, wasn't really troubled otherwise.
    Dillon - 8 - Cracking game, one of his best for us so far. Great tackle towards the end of the game that summed up his night. Not the same threat as Bomber going forward though. Long-term replacement perhaps...
    Crawley - 7 - Actually did quite well, but you won't hear me saying that too often.
    Rogers - 8 - Solid as a rock.
    Harris - 7 - Won almost everything in the air, as you would expect.
    Ryan - 7 - Played in Crowe for the goal I think, had an effort just wide in the first half. Pissed me off at the end though by losing the ball on more than one occasion, one of which led to their goal iirc.
    Cahill - 9 - Sen ****ing sational, again. This guy is in the form of his life, and rightly got a standing ovation when taken off. Don't think he should have been subbed though, unless he picked up a knock... We're not missing Wes at the moment with the form he's in. Early contender for player of the season already.
    S. Byrne - 7 - Decent enough, not enough to hold down a regular spot though.
    Ndo - 7 - One or two decent moments, nothing spectacular though. Put in a couple of tackles which was good to see, and had a cheeky effort from distance.
    Byrne - 7 - Fairly anonymous for the most of the game, other than the goal which he took brilliantly. Had his customary "swing and a miss" in the second half which would have rounded off a classic move. Got a great blocking tackle in our own box in the second half too.
    Crowe - 7 - Did extremely well for the goal, but missed a great chance at the end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I thought it was a decent enough game. Derry played the better football for the most part but Shels defence was excellent especially Harris and Rodgers in the centre. Shels did have some great chances and Byrne had one shocking miss from 6 yards when he totally missed the ball. Derry fully deserved the draw which I feel was the right result in the end.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Byrne had one shocking miss from 6 yards when he totally missed the ball.

For every goal he scores there are two or three of those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Should be a good game monday night now.. can imagine the reaction kearney will get! (if he comes off the bench that is, tee hee)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If he even makes the bench! With Ollie in the form he is in, its safe to say he won't be getting a look in for the starting 11 anyways! :D Should be a good game! Still feeling sick over the equaliser last night! :(:)

Advertisement