Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bio Fuel Cars - who makes them?

Options
  • 03-04-2006 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Reading on drivinginfo.ie about the 50% VRT relief on bio fuel cars.

Who makes bio fuel cars and where can you get bio fuel. Would normal deisel do for these cars or would it have to be bio fuel.

Been on google but i cant find anything conclusive on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Ford do a 1.8 Focus FFV (flexible Fuel vehicle) that runs on either E85 ( a mix of petrol and bio-ethanol in a 15:85 ratio) or plain ol' unleaded. The only garage that sells them is the Crawford's Ford garage in Sandymount in Dublin. Beside that garage is the only petrol station that sells the fuel.
    Saab also do some cars that run on E85, but don't sell them here.

Diesel and bio-diesel I'm not sure about, but I think that diesel engines are more flexible in what they can burn then petrol engines, hence people using used vegetable oil etc

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bio fuel has limited availability.
    Maxol (see http://www.maxol.ie/news/pressreleases/e85_launch.html) make a bio-ethanol fuel but currently is only available in Sandymount (I think they are planning one in Cork).
    Cars like the Toyota Prius use a combination of normal fuel (does it take bio-ethanol?) and electric motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

This was on TV3 a while back, they opened a garage that only sells bio fuels and this company(cant remember where) where selling for just over a grand the transformation of your car to bio-fuels....was a thread here about it but couldnt be bothered searching for it....>irish company anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ascully

hi there we are just about to get the bio diseal thing for my girlfriends car she has a vw bora, she is takin the car to castlebridge in wexford where they do a conversion costs about a grand and then the car can run on rapeolium processed rapeseed oil, but it can still run on diseal too then we buy a tank like the one you have your home heatin oil in for 1000 liters and the price of the fuel is 80 cents a litre. i think the only disadvantage is the car will smell like a mobile chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

ascully wrote:
    hi there we are just about to get the bio diseal thing for my girlfriends car she has a vw bora, she is takin the car to castlebridge in wexford where they do a conversion costs about a grand and then the car can run on rapeolium processed rapeseed oil, but it can still run on diseal too then we buy a tank like the one you have your home heatin oil in for 1000 liters and the price of the fuel is 80 cents a litre. i think the only disadvantage is the car will smell like a mobile chipper.

Would the coversion mean that you would be entitled to VRT clawback or does this just apply to new cars I wonder.

• Advertisement

kluivert wrote:
    Would the coversion mean that you would be entitled to VRT clawback or does this just apply to new cars I wonder.
    no idea could finds out though

i have a number of the rapeolium people here 05440490

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I checked this out last year and think that it's better suited to older diesel engines as they won't clog up like the newer ones will. Maybe someone on here has more information, anywayit's something to think about before going ahead with it maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joy123

ascully wrote: »

hi, can u give little bit more information?? is it(rapeolium processed rapeseed oil) is available every where in ireland?? where u can get them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

kbannon wrote: »
    Bio fuel has limited availability.
    Maxol (see http://www.maxol.ie/news/pressreleases/e85_launch.html) make a bio-ethanol fuel but currently is only available in Sandymount (I think they are planning one in Cork).
    Cars like the Toyota Prius use a combination of normal fuel (does it take bio-ethanol?) and electric motors.

There's plenty of E85 Maxol stations. Soon enough they'll all stock it so getting the fuel should not be a concern. Here's a list of 13 Maxol garages and I know this is out of date because Sandyford, Dublin also sell it and thats not on this list:

http://www.carnet.ie/news299.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Bear in mind kbannon posted that 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed

joy123, please read the charter before you post any further in the motors section. Do not revive old threads...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement