Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney Breast

Options
  • 03-04-2006 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

We live in a pretty standard former corpo three bed semi in North Dublin.
    The chimney breast is in the "centre" of the house, rather than along the gable wall, at the side.

We have an open fire in our living room (fireplace opposite front window), which backs onto the kitchen, where the chimney brace appears to have "continued" in from the living room on the other side. I am wondering if at some point there was an open fire, or a range originally here. The house was probably built in the late 70s, so its not that old. There are two chimney pots at the top- but is there only one flue? Any advice on how I would find this out?

Why do I ask? We are currently planning on redoing our kitchen. It will be reasonably small, and one of the limiting factors is this blocked up area where I assume the chimney flue is. While we can design around it, one idea that I had was that IF it was a seperate flue from the open fire in the living room we would open it up and put a range or stove top/under oven in there will the extractor fan going up the flue. Is this possible, or just a BAD idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Pre 1970's or 1970's a chimney would have been fairly standard in both the kitchen and living room.

I'm not trying to be smart but the easiest way to find out might be to knock on your neighbours door, there were some houses built in the early '70's that had no chimneys at all so take nothing for granted.

As for running an extractor fan into the chimney it might cause problems later acting as a grease trap but like you I'd be open to suggestions.

Advertisement