Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting your dog in kennels

Options
  • 03-04-2006 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

How do people feel about putting there dogs in kennels while on holidays? What are the good and bad points. Any recommendations in North Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

It really upsets my dog, and he always seems to come home sick. I've tried three different kennels now, and havent been happy with one. We try to avoid them now, and leave him at home with a friend to look after him (not easy I know)
    He came back infested with fleas from one. He had a kidney infection after another, I'm convinced he wasnt warm enough there (he is a whippet).
    I'm sure there are good kennels out there, I just havent found one suitable for my guy yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 nichen

Which ones did you go to so i dont make the same mistake.

Thanks

fits wrote:
    It really upsets my dog, and he always seems to come home sick. I've tried three different kennels now, and havent been happy with one. We try to avoid them now, and leave him at home with a friend to look after him (not easy I know)
    He came back infested with fleas from one. He had a kidney infection after another, I'm convinced he wasnt warm enough there (he is a whippet).
    I'm sure there are good kennels out there, I just havent found one suitable for my guy yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

They arent in Dublin. Go on recommendations and you should be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

We put one of our dogs into kennels for a week once, it came back sick and what appeared to be depressed. Took a while before it turned back into it's old self.
    Will not be doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭andy1249

leaving any dog into a kennels is going to make them worry , they are used to you being around and getting dumped in a strange place and left there is going to make them depressed as they will think your not coming back, I can only imagine the thoughts going through their heads.

We had to leave our little Jack Russell into a kennel for just two nights , while we got married , and the poor little fella was frantic by the time we picked him up. The kennels were fabulous though , gave all the dogs blankets and everything , walked them all regularly and played with them , but our Dog just was not used to being with strangers and got very down. It took him a couple of days to get over it and he stuck to us like glue until he calmed down.

Not something I would do to him again unless there was absolutely no other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I know it isn't quite the same but we had to put our cats in a kennel once (we were in the process of moving house, had nowhere to live :( ).

Our boy was ok, but our girl was very upset on return.
    They were basically kept in a cage all the time but at least they were together.

Some dogs just don't like their owners leaving no matter what.

My parents returned from a holiday to find their dog half starved and having chewed his own tail off.
    He growled and tried to attack the person who was supposed to feed and walk him and wouldn't eat the food they left. He had serious abandonment issues.

So I guess if he'd been in a kennel maybe a professional could've prevented the tail chewing incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Surely it depends on the individual pet concerned? When I was young we had a dog that loved going to the kennels ... knew when we were in the car and within a few miles of it, and started getting up at the window and barking! When it was time to bring him home he didn't want to leave. Same with our two cats ... they don't like going, but it's hell trying to get them back into their boxes to take them back home. Maybe they're trying to tell us something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It depends on the dog - my neighbour's dog has been in kennels a few times - when they get him back he races through their home and wees on everything he can find - beds and all. He has this frantic peeing episode until they can finally catch him and put him out. Charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Keating

I put my cats into boarding recently for two weeks at Irish Rosettes near Blakes Cross for the first time. When I went to pick them up, the lady looking after them knew a lot about the cats which she could only have found out by spending time with them. She even got to groom them which they don't let me do! My friend leaves her two dogs there a few times during the year. When she turns into the drive way the dogs recognise where they are going and start barking and wagging their tails!! When they get out of the car, they charge up to the owner. Dogs would only do that to someone who looks after them well and who they like! I was really happy with the service and so is my friend. They are popular though so you have to book in advance for peak holiday times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Keating

I meant to say, I was able to go and view the cattery area before I brought them down. And the dogs get walks a couple of times a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 nichen

Thanks for all your replys. I know its very stressful for the dog. We have 2 and im hoping it wont be that stressful as they have eachother for company. Went to Irish Rosettes in Lusk and to Greenacres in the Naul. Decided to go with Greenacres in the Naul. Got a nice feel from the place all the dogs seemed happy with the carer and there was a nice country feel off the place they have horses aswell. Nice big area for them to exercise in.

Advertisement