Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cinema

Options
  • 03-04-2006 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Whats the best cinema in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

nollaig wrote:
    Whats the best cinema in Dublin?

I don't think there's much to compete with the Cineworld cinema in Parnell Street (previously UGC, previously Virgin). They've even sorted out the online booking stuff that UGC never seemed to get the hang of properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I suppose it has to be Cineworld. I love the atmosphere of the Savoy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Definately Cineworld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

ster century anyone?

Yeah it's an extremely good cinema too but it's a nuisance how far out it is, would go occasionally but Cineworld is a lot more convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

My favourite has to be Vue in Liffey Valley (this used to be called Ster Century but they changed the name), followed by Cineworld. Cineworld reminds me too much of an airport though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

VUE is crap. sure the screens are huge and the seatings unobstructed but 9.30euro for an evening show is too expensive and you'll pay the guts of 9euro for a medium meal:confused: the place is just a rip off. christ you cant even get butter on your popcorn anymore, and god help you if you wanna find your cup holder in the dark. i'll be honest from what ive seen the place looks like its one step away from closure. you cant even buy your tickets during the day at the ticket desk anymore, ya have to go to the food counter to buy em. hell even the aftrenoon shows prices are too expensive at 7.75!

personally i go to the UCI in tallaght, 6.75for an afternoon show and 8 euro for a LARGE meal. ok the seating isnt the best but they serve the best natchos and melted cheese going and you can still get the aforementioned butter on your popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

VUE is crap. sure the screens are huge and the seatings unobstructed but 9.30euro for an evening show is too expensive and you'll pay the guts of 9euro for a medium meal:confused: the place is just a rip off. christ you cant even get butter on your popcorn anymore, and god help you if you wanna find your cup holder in the dark. i'll be honest from what ive seen the place looks like its one step away from closure. you cant even buy your tickets during the day at the ticket desk anymore, ya have to go to the food counter to buy em. hell even the aftrenoon shows prices are too expensive at 7.75!

personally i go to the UCI in tallaght, 6.75for an afternoon show and 8 euro for a LARGE meal. ok the seating isnt the best but they serve the best natchos and melted cheese going and you can still get the aforementioned butter on your popcorn.

The butter is also a deciding factor for me. Therefore UCI coolock. If UGC sorted out the butter they would get my custom. Curse the little ****e who allegedly slipped on spilt butter and ruined it for us all.

butter on popcorn? use to love it til i realised how bad it was for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

The Screen is the best cinema in Dublin, it feels like a cinema, not an artificial airport lounge with overpriced junkfood that pass for cinemas nowadays.

IMO a real cinema needs velvet curtains in front of the screens ;)

• Advertisement

The Screen is the best cinema in Dublin, it feels like a cinema
    But isn't the Savoy just a better version of the Screen, in terms of the building? I think the Screen has better films though, and it's handy (just beside college).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I've heard that UCI Tallaght is moving, is this true? Apparently Pennies has bought/leased the spot where the cinema is.

How about Dundrum? Ok the foyer is a little cramped, but you can buy your food and tickets at the same counter! Vue is a pain in the hole queing up twice. also with Dundrum a lot of the screens are underground and there never seems to be reception, so no annoying people on the phone. Seats are the best about also IMO.

They have a Mezz sections which gives a large Drink(or Tea, Coffee or Wine) and Popcorn(not sure what size it is) all for €15. To me that's good value(if its a large popcorn) as i always pig out so with Mezz Tickets save money. They also have a deal with a restaurant upstairs for a meal and Cinema ticket for €20, I think its monday to thursday.

On the down side it can get very warm in there and you have to pay for parking usually €2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

I think the Screen has better films though, and it's handy (just beside college).

Where is this? I am nor from Dublin so I only know the a couple of the cinemas.

imo the best cinema we ever had was the ambassador.

now THAT was a cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

nollaig wrote:
    Where is this? I am nor from Dublin so I only know the a couple of the cinemas.

The Screen is on Townsend Street at the side of Hawkins Street opposite Trinity College, (towards the Pearse Street side).

Well worth a visit ,ext time you're in Town. :)

Noelie wrote:
    How about Dundrum? Ok the foyer is a little cramped, but you can buy your food and tickets at the same counter!

The last time I went to Movies@Dundrum I was with a group of friends, we were directed to go to any of the counters to get the tickets as there was a queue at the box at the front of the foyer.
    We all got food and wanted to get our tickets separately but yet be seated together, this seemed to cause an immense problem for the staff, it took three of them standing at the one computer to figure out how to do it. It took almost ten minutes.
    I would not call that a positive aspect to Movies@Dundrum.
    Noelie wrote:
    Vue is a pain in the hole queing up twice. also with Dundrum a lot of the screens are underground and there never seems to be reception, so no annoying people on the phone. Seats are the best about also IMO.
    I've come across plenty of people on their phones in the lower levels of the cinema when I've been there.

rb_ie wrote:
    The last time I went to Movies@Dundrum I was with a group of friends, we were directed to go to any of the counters to get the tickets as there was a queue at the box at the front of the foyer.
    We all got food and wanted to get our tickets separately but yet be seated together, this seemed to cause an immense problem for the staff, it took three of them standing at the one computer to figure out how to do it. It took almost ten minutes.
    I would not call that a positive aspect to Movies@Dundrum.

If you go anywhere and do a deal like that you will have trouble.
    In my experience it's a good thing. Myself and my girlfriend go up buy two tickets get all our food and pay once, if paying on a Credit card only need to do one transaction.

Noelie wrote:
    If you go anywhere and do a deal like that you will have trouble.

If you go anywhere else you won't have the problem, pay for tickets separately and then go get food. Simple as. This is what we wanted to do except we were directed to go to one of the foodstalls instead of the box office.

Instead, we're left standing there while three people who seemed to half half a brain between them tried to operate a till to do a very basic task.

I went up, asked for food and a ticket.
    Friend 1 went up, asked for food and a ticket for a seat beside mine - this is where the problem began.
    Friend 2 went up, asked for food and a ticket with the first two people - problem seems to increase, staff member added to till. Now two staff members trying to operate one till.
    Friend 3 went up, asked for food and a ticket with the rest of us - MAJOR problem. What seemed to be a supervisor is called over. Three of them stand there going back over what exactly we wanted.

Eventually it was sorted out, it was ridiculous in my opinion. Should never have happened.

rb_ie wrote:
    If you go anywhere else you won't have the problem, pay for tickets separately and then go get food. Simple as. This is what we wanted to do except we were directed to go to one of the foodstalls instead of the box office.

And what stopped you buying all your tickets first and then buy your food. Thats the rational thing to do, you go up as a group one person says i'd like x number of tickets and we would like to pay seperatly. once tickets are sorted you still have your place in the que and you ask to buy food, one at a time.
    rb_ie wrote:
    Instead, we're left standing there while three people who seemed to half half a brain between them tried to operate a till to do a very basic task.

There is no need to belittle the people serving you. There is a serious problem with customers not respecting others who go do minimum pay jods. Not everyone is as logical as the next person. You and your friends where unable to come up with a solution either. Like lemmings you followed what you where told to do.

Since I am able to order both my tickets and popcorn at the same time without the assistance of three employees I find the idea very good, for those who cannot order two things at once perhaps it is best to order separately.

Noelie wrote:
    And what stopped you buying all your tickets first and then buy your food. Thats the rational thing to do, you go up as a group one person says i'd like x number of tickets and we would like to pay seperatly. once tickets are sorted you still have your place in the que and you ask to buy food, one at a time.

Why can't I just go up and pay for my stuff, with my money all at once? Are you suggesting that things need to be simplified for these staff?
    Noelie wrote:
    There is no need to belittle the people serving you. There is a serious problem with customers not respecting others who go do minimum pay jods. Not everyone is as logical as the next person. You and your friends where unable to come up with a solution either.

Well, considering the seats are numbered & lettered, it wouldn't take a genius to figure out that if I've got a ticket for seat 6a for example, and a friend comes up and asks to be seated next to me, 6b would be the ticket to give them?

I should point out now that the cinema was more or less empty at the time and it's not as though it was a problem that there weren't the seats available to seat us next to each other.
    Noelie wrote:
    Since I am able to order both my tickets and popcorn at the same time without the assistance of three employees I find the idea very good, for those who cannot order two things at once perhaps it is best to order separately.

I ordered my ticket and food at the same time, then my friends did they same.
    I would have expected the staff to be able to cope with such a request, clearly they were not.

God only knows what would have happened if the four of us had arrived up, asked for four tickets and all our food on top of it and then to pay seperately.

Had we arrived at the cinema without time to spare i.e the film was about to start, due to these staff we would have missed part of it. Luckily we arrived early.
    I should also point out that the staff were quite rude throughout the transaction.

Do you happen to work there?

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    Why can't I just go up and pay for my stuff, with my money all at once?
    Isn't that what you did? and thats what i said was good about the cinema, your not contradicting what you first said.
    Try going to a restaurant with a group of friends and ordering together, then at the end saying you want to pay seperately. it only got complicated when your friend came up asking for an exact seat. how many people walk into a cinema and say can i have seat 6G
    Well, considering the seats are numbered & lettered, it wouldn't take a genius to figure out that if I've got a ticket for seat 6a for example, and a friend comes up and asks to be seated next to me, 6b would be the ticket to give them?
    But what if one of the other workers sold the seat that is beside you before your friend gets to buy it?
    I should point out now that the cinema was more or less empty at the time and it's not as though it was a problem that there weren't the seats available to seat us next to each other.
    If it was more of less empty them why didn't you que up out the front and do your transaction the way you wanted too?
    Do you happen to work there?

No i don't work for them. we're goign off topic here btw.

Noelie wrote:
    Isn't that what you did?
    Yes, that is what I did. You then critisized it and I questioned what exactly is wrong with what we did?It is very normal behaviour for cinema customers.
    Noelie wrote:
    Try going to a restaurant with a group of friends and ordering together, then at the end saying you want to pay seperately.

We do, quite regularly also and have never encountered a problem.
    Noelie wrote:
    it only got complicated when your friend came up asking for an exact seat. how many people walk into a cinema and say can i have seat 6G

So are you saying that they should have just accepted whatever seat they were given so?As to avoid confusing the (seemingly easily confused) staff?
    We approached in a group, common sense would dictate that we would like to be seated together. You're hardly going to go to the cinema with a group of friends and then ask to be seated seperately, no, you'll asked to be seated together. It's quite simple really.
    Say I had been with one girl on a date, if you were working there would you assume we wanted to sit together or do you think it'd be fine to just give us random seats? No, it'd be pretty safe to assume that we'd want to sit together. Same goes for groups of friends.
    It's very, very simple. If the staff can't get that, then I'd seriously question their intelligence.
    Noelie wrote:
    But what if one of the other workers sold the seat that is beside you before your friend gets to buy it?
    I doubt that'd happen tbh and if it did then it would show how faulty their system of being able to buy tickets at any till is.
    Noelie wrote:
    If it was more of less empty them why didn't you que up out the front and do your transaction the way you wanted too?
    We did, there was one group infront of us at the box office and a woman from the foyer came over and told us to go over to a food queue.
    We couldn't forsee the staff getting confused over something so basic(imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Cineworld of course. It's right in the heart of the city centre and you can't beat the monthly card. As many movies as you want for €17.50 a month. Sure it can get busy, but book early. It's big, clean and comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

The Screen is the best cinema in Dublin

I know the one you are talking about now, 2 screens in it. Its ok but not much leg room!!!!

nollaig wrote:
    I know the one you are talking about now, 2 screens in it. Its ok but not much leg room!!!!
    It has three screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

eo980 wrote:
    Cineworld of course. It's right in the heart of the city centre and you can't beat the monthly card. As many movies as you want for €17.50 a month. Sure it can get busy, but book early. It's big, clean and comfortable.

Couldn't agree more, that unlimited card is great value but with regards that card the trap they hope to put you into is that you'll buy the OTT expensive food in Cineworld everytime you go. Bring your own food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The smoother operations is all that does it for me in regads to cineworld.
    I love the Savoy though, it just has such character.

Also, to anyone cares, UCI Coolock is being refurbished soon to compete with the new cinema trend. The plans look deadly so check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Noelie wrote:
    Vue is a pain in the hole queing up twice. also with Dundrum a lot of the screens are underground and there never seems to be reception, so no annoying people on the phone. Seats are the best about also IMO.

SAw a sign there the other week, announcing you could buy your tickets at the pop-corn stand, they also seems to be using "receipt" style tickets, so they must have changed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Noelie wrote:
    I've heard that UCI Tallaght is moving, is this true? Apparently Pennies has bought/leased the spot where the cinema is..

i go there pretty much every week (though not as much latlely due to the crap selection of movies on offer the last few months, honestly V for vendetta was the first thing i saw since underworld evolution came out:rolleyes: ) and know a lot of the staff there and they havent heard anything about it moving.
    personally i dont see why, the place is always full in the evenings/weekends so it cant be from lack of business plus i know for a fact penny's is opening in the new apartment/retail outlets being built next to the luas terminus so i reckon you got the wrong end of the stick on this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

T&#225 wrote: »
    butter on popcorn? use to love it til i realised how bad it was for ya.

Were all going to die eventually might as well have butter on your popcorn, as long as it's not everyday you should be ok.

In relation to Ster century (or whatever the hell it's called now), I went there once, no butter on popcorn never went again. I don't believe the excuse they gave, I just think some little plc educated idiot thought he/she was being a great manager by cutting out the free butter and saving 2/3c a time.

Advertisement