Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cinema

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

The smoother operations is all that does it for me in regads to cineworld.
    I love the Savoy though, it just has such character.

Also, to anyone cares, UCI Coolock is being refurbished soon to compete with the new cinema trend. The plans look deadly so check it out.

It's going to be converted to a digital cinema (as are all cinemas in Ireland), I couldnt find any info about it on the uci website, Has it been refurbished already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I once had an idea to visit all the cinemas in the country and rate them based on experience.

For me the best Cinema is a combination of factors, screen size, sound, food/drink, toilet facilities and friendliness of staff, of course range of movies and suitable times are necessary too. Unfortunately, any good experience can be ruined by the ringing of a mobile phone, or some plonkers yapping their way through a movie.

I like the big cinemas - Cineworld, Savoy, Vue, but also fondly remember the Carlton too. As I live in Bray I most frequently go there. Tiny Cinema, old seats, really like old times, I like that. But they have the best tasting popcorn (sans butter) of any cinema I've been in.

Cheers
    Howard

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

for me The Screen would be the one I'd choose to go to

after that maybe the Savoy, especially the Savoy 1 for a big release (agree with the comment about the need for red velvet curtains!)

for the personal touch and convenience to me I miss the old Stella and the Classic in Harold's cross, if they had refurbished them, put in the comfy seats etc, throw in a few extra screens that's where I'd be

been to Dundrum a few times,

technically very nice (presuming they've fixed the online booking system at this stage so when you buy 2 seats they are actually beside each other!:rolleyes: )

but Dundrum is soulless :(

also the IFI in temple bar deserves a mention for character, having a bar and the inevitably varied types of films there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

UCI Tallaght ;) Maybe I'm a bit biased though, cos I work there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

WHY DON'T PEOPLE SET UP POLLS?!?!??!?!??!?:mad:

- bullet points are also useful
    - Vue cinema is the one for me
    - i hate paying NTR €3.60 for the priviledge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

WHY DON'T PEOPLE SET UP POLLS?!?!??!?!??!?

I dont know how to and at the time, I didnt know all the cinemas in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Magic Pips wrote:
    WHY DON'T PEOPLE SET UP POLLS?!?!??!?!??!?:mad:

Relax. There's only a certain number of options allowed on polls, every cinema in Dublin wouldn't fit onto one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭man-in-cognito

hshortt wrote:
    As I live in Bray I most frequently go there. Tiny Cinema, old seats, really like old times, I like that. But they have the best tasting popcorn (sans butter) of any cinema I've been in.

Cheers
    Howard

I used to go to Bray a lot when I lived in Greystones. What annoyed me, was that in their main screen, the isle was in the centre of the room, so it was impossible to watch the film from the centre. Very annoying. Dunno if that's still the way though..

I love the Savoy, with Cineworld coming in close second. They're both just around the corner from my apartment, but I think Savoy has a nicer feel to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

I like the Vue cinema because of how expensive it is - it keeps the riff-raff away and as such I'm much more comfortable about telling talkers to STFU!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

definitely the Screen for quality of films, plus the added benefit of no scangers, think the subtitles must put them off? :rolleyes:
    great location too for post film pint and chat ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I like the new Omni centre cinema. Lots of legroom, also i don't have to go all the way into town, and its always empty during the day when i like to go. (also theres an eddie rockets next door - yay!) On the downside theres no internet booking and you can only be a student monday-thursday *grrrrr*

Cineworld is nice too.

I really hate UCI Coolock its so close to me but its just grotty and smells weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Favourite is Cineworld. I also like that they don't have butter on the popcorn :) wouldn't buy it if they did.

Movies@Dundrum - only went once coz it was so expensive - 9 euro and that was a student rate!! In Cineworld a student ticket is 6-something.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,892 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I go to the cinema quite a lot.

Love Cineworld - especially the Bar area! Pulled many a double and triple bill in there with the aid of the bar.

Bray - used to go there every week, but not anymore. Love the popcorn (as mentioned earlier in the thread - gotta love the overuse of Flavacol!) but the last two times i, or my friends, have been there they have had NO popcorn:mad:

Used to go to Dun Laoghaire quite a lot - popcorn was fairly poor but it was a nice cinema.

Go to Dundrum most weeks now, as i have a family interest in it, so i won't comment on it - wouldn't want to be seen as spamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

nollaig wrote:
    Whats the best cinema in Dublin?

For me there is no best cinema in Dublin, as they are all pretty cr@p. They are of very poor quaility and very bad value. To me its a case of saying which one is less sh1te over the others!!

I went to see the The Wind that Shakes the Barley last night in the Omni, Santry. The place is a disaster, the lights came on twice during the preview and around 5 seconds before the credits started rolling at the end!! The sound went extremely low on numerous occassions, when the speckly dots came on the screen. Which I assume is a reel change or something??

This is after the last film I saw there a coupe of weeks ago were they managed to forget about us and left us sitting there for 15 minutes before I went and asked about the film!!

When you go to cinemas abroad you see what a real cinema is like. I've been in cinemas throughout the UK, Australia, Germany and US. Like everything in this country we are getting shat on from a great height!!

I am putting alot of hope in the new cinema which is to open in the Pavillion. Am I asking too much to have a cinema (even one screen would do me) with leather reclining seats, no one under 18 allowed in, and where your waiter serves you beer by pressing a red button on the side of your chair?? Warner Villages around England have them, why cant we?? They are more costly at €10 before 5pm and €15 after 5pm a visit but I'd happily pay the extra. You get free popcorn and soft drink refills aswell;)

As far as I'm concerned our standards are way too low!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 It'sMr.BigToYou

I LOVE UCI Tallaght, it just feels like a Cinema and has the best buttered popcorn and the staff are really nice too and friendly. Second fave is UCI Blanchardstown for the same reasons as Tallaght.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I LOVE UCI Tallaght, it just feels like a Cinema and has the best buttered popcorn and the staff are really nice too and friendly. Second fave is UCI Blanchardstown for the same reasons as Tallaght.
    So that's a big thumbs up for UCI then. Do you like any other cinemas?

I like Dundrum (just so it's a little balanced).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 bloodwolf

I hate that uci tallaght.I wanted to go to the 8 o clock showing of 2012 their printer was out of ink so the ticket was written, all it had on it was 2(for the amount of people the ticket was for) and 2012 printed on it.the girl selling the ticket said the person at the ticket booth that collects the stubs will tell you your screen.So anyway go to the girl and ask her she said screen 8 but looked confused so I asked(first time my gf asked) and rephrased it making sure to say twenty twelve and two thousand twelve she said yes its screen 8 as we were walking away my girlfriend again asked just to make sure that the polish girl is not trying to get rid of us cos of her lack of english.we waited for 45 minutes for it then the 4th kind came on.I went out and told some one that the 4th kind was on and not 2012 he suggested I see a later showing I told him as Im visiting my gf and have to catch a bus a half hour before the end of that showing that its pointless and if I wanted to see that showing I would have arranged to see that showing and not the 8 o clock showing then as I go to walk out so I can get my money back from the ticket girl the polish girl gives me a look and comes over to argue with me saying its my fault and that I didnt ask her 3 times and try to say myself and my girlfriend are unable to understand a simple digit then after starting the arguement she turns away saying whatever go away and starts talking to her friends I go to the managers and refer to her as that one (this is when Im off the uci property but still in the square)the young manager actually turn round and says Im not giving you your money back if you refer to staff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

imc just for nostalgia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Holy thread resurrection.

The Lighthouse.
    Many subtitled films, so ultra-low scang factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

spurious wrote: »
    Holy thread resurrection.

The Lighthouse.
    Many subtitled films, so ultra-low scang factor.

Hmm... I should go sometime... it's only next door to me. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

bloodwolf wrote: »
    I hate that uci tallaght.I wanted to go to the 8 o clock showing of 2012 their printer was out of ink so the ticket was written, all it had on it was 2(for the amount of people the ticket was for) and 2012 printed on it.the girl selling the ticket said the person at the ticket booth that collects the stubs will tell you your screen.So anyway go to the girl and ask her she said screen 8 but looked confused so I asked(first time my gf asked) and rephrased it making sure to say twenty twelve and two thousand twelve she said yes its screen 8 as we were walking away my girlfriend again asked just to make sure that the polish girl is not trying to get rid of us cos of her lack of english.we waited for 45 minutes for it then the 4th kind came on.I went out and told some one that the 4th kind was on and not 2012 he suggested I see a later showing I told him as Im visiting my gf and have to catch a bus a half hour before the end of that showing that its pointless and if I wanted to see that showing I would have arranged to see that showing and not the 8 o clock showing then as I go to walk out so I can get my money back from the ticket girl the polish girl gives me a look and comes over to argue with me saying its my fault and that I didnt ask her 3 times and try to say myself and my girlfriend are unable to understand a simple digit then after starting the arguement she turns away saying whatever go away and starts talking to her friends I go to the managers and refer to her as that one (this is when Im off the uci property but still in the square)the young manager actually turn round and says Im not giving you your money back if you refer to staff like that.

They shouldn't have spoken to you like that but did you think to check when you were waiting for 45 minutes or ask any of the customers in the screening with you?

not really as there was other people waiting as long as us guess what the employee who came over to me to fight about how I was in the wrong and basically talk down to me has replyed to this blog any one know if I can press charges some of the things she is trying to say in her broken english are rather insulting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

This isn't a blog. As far as pressing charges, you should speak to a solicitor.

any one had any issues like this before

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Huge paragraph!
    My eyes! tl;dr;dc, +zombie.... :mad:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

My favourite cinema in Dublin is the IFI. I love it!

For general release movies though, I like the Savoy. Since it's been done up it's lovely but still has that old-school feel

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

What is the best cinema by quality of the screen?

I usually go to Vue, Clondalkin, and the screen is kinda blurry, re-watching a movie in HD later on is a completely different experience. Are all cinemas like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyt24

Movies at Swords..seats are so much more comfotable..oh and the v.i.p section...so hands down Swords is the best cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I hate seeing threads like these resurrect, what a reminder as to how time has flown :(

On another note, <3 Movies@Dundrum now, particularly The Mezz. Best cinema experience evar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

A few paragraphs would be nice.

Advertisement