Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a good firewall

• 03-04-2006 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a good firewall, I have used McAfee, which came with the pc, but the trial pariod is up now and I don't really want to have to pay for another session. does anyone know of a good, reliable firewall, and that is preferably free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

cheers dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

yeah, i've been using Kerio for a number of years.. on top with Avast antivirus... have had no problem since then... well no firewall is any good unless it is configured alrite...:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you aren't too worried about MOSSAD possibly having a backdoor in to your machine ZoneAlarm ( /me puts on niche shiny thin foil hat. )

coreforce looks interesting but probably more of a techie thing at the moment

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Also try zonealarm. I've been using it for years and it's excellent and of course more importantly it's free :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

common sense, or hardware based

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Marts wrote:
    does anyone know of a good, reliable firewall, and that is preferably free?

Linux :D

Seriously, I would second Zonealarm. Or if you have an nVidia motherboard the nVidia firewall seems good

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wicknight wrote:
    Linux :D

Seriously, I would second Zonealarm. Or if you have an nVidia motherboard the nVidia firewall seems good
    BSD ;)
    Zonealarm don't work when it crashes or fails to load, not too sure about "safe mode with network support"

Some network cards have firewall drivers too.

Non windows box is your best bet, if buying a router/wireless/adsl thingy then spend a few quid extra and get one with a firewall, NAT at least and use ethernet port on the device rather than USB.

Advertisement