Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Digital Surround sound

• 03-04-2006 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Looking for a bit of help with the old Sky Digi. Bought a Panasonic HT880 on Saturday and linked it up via RCA to the Sky Digital. Only thing is I have 2.1 sound rather than 5.1.

Do i have to do something different to get 5.1. I have tried looking for settings withing the OSD to see if I am missing something or whether I need to change something within the Sky Box (which it could be because I havent really looked at it yet)

Suggestions would be appreciated

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭pastor

Ginger wrote:
    Hi folks

Looking for a bit of help with the old Sky Digi. Bought a Panasonic HT880 on Saturday and linked it up via RCA to the Sky Digital. Only thing is I have 2.1 sound rather than 5.1.

Do i have to do something different to get 5.1. I have tried looking for settings withing the OSD to see if I am missing something or whether I need to change something within the Sky Box (which it could be because I havent really looked at it yet)

Suggestions would be appreciated

Ta

Hi Ginger

Do you have a Sky+ box? The sky+ box has an optical out which you can then link to the optical in on your amp and get DD5.1 on some of the movie channels (denoted with a DD in the info banner) you could also apply DD Pro logic II processing on the other channels if your amp supports it. You will not get 5.1 using the RCA only stereo.

If I remember rightly some of the sony digi boxes had an optical out as well.

Hope that this helps.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Dont have a SKY+ box but I will look outputs and the inputs on both this evening and see what I can do to make it work

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

I'm well up on this subject , ran into it before ,

An ordinary sky digital box does not output 5.1 it only outputs stereo. ( I have the same panasonic mentioned )
    Even if the sky box has an optical out , the signal is still only PCM stereo , ( I seen this on a grundig sky box )

Sky+ boxes output 5.1 but only on selected channels , mostly the movie channels.

So your only option for surround sound with a sky box is either pro logic , or pro logic II depending on your amp or decoder , this is from the RCA or optical out and doesnt sound too bad either , but its not 5.1 quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well that solves it for me thanks for that

Advertisement