Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lake Jump

Options
  • 03-04-2006 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Just got this text from "Lake Jump"
    To honour the first ever UCD BALL we are starting a new tradition. Today a 1.15 we are throwing the Ents Officer into the lake wearing a tux. Don't miss it!!!

Anyone else get this and think it's a new low for the SU?

I can just picture some guy standing by the lake in a tux.. "oh no, I really hope no one throws me in the lake because i will get my new tuxedo all wet"

Somebody getting voluntarily thrown in a lake, what a blast.

Let us all hold hands and pray that this doesn't become a tradition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Did you just get it?? Cos it's after 2....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

one of my mates once cycled into the lake as speed.

they also captured the little island thing and put a flag on it.

good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I got that text too. Nothing but a crap publicity stunt for the ball tbh.
    ferdi wrote:
    one of my mates once cycled into the lake as speed.

they also captured the little island thing and put a flag on it.

good times

Now thats how a publicity stunt should be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

No i got it earlier, only finished my lectures now. Did anyone go down? Was it the 30 seconds pure excitement i imagined it would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Is all this publicity because they're not selling tickets or because they're trying to get as many people to go as possible. 60 euro for an on campus event*, I hope it crashes and burns!

*may have facts wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

humbert wrote:
    60 euro for an on campus event*, I hope it crashes and burns!

*may have facts wrong

60 squid it tis on top of hiring a tux, quite costly. Rocking out to The Loose in a tux would be funny but the ball doesn't really appeal to me overall.

I wanna go but I promised I was going to be a hermit until the exams are over and whatever about tuxes, the idea of trying to skip from stage to stage in a ballgown doesn't really fill me with joy. My beautiful dress wouldn't be ruined in yucky ucd carparks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

did they actually do it? the fcuking saps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Blatant, "Oh f**k, we're not selling tkts. I know what we can do...". €60 is way too expensive when you consider there's no foo and only one big name. It'd be better to just have one stage instead of the three and splash out on getting at least 2 big acts...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I'd love to go but jaysus no way am I payin 60 euro! [i really just want to wear my dress!]

• Advertisement

Ok, I'll make a deal with ya, both of us come in tomorrow in our dresses!

60euro is a joke, how did they expect bands like BELLend 1 to pull in the crowds?
    the bars are totally packed out so obtaining a drink is a nightmare.

elmyra wrote:
    Ok, I'll make a deal with ya, both of us come in tomorrow in our dresses!
    left it in Carlow maybe next week:p [which one the black or gold?]

Mine's in Wicklow as it happens, it's kinda a dark red colour so it'd look real nice beside gold.....yay, dresses! I actually really want to wear it now. I wore it to the Strauss ball but that was aaaaaages ago.

carlow? do you know james and brian daly?

Cw town or elsewhere? I might know a brian..[your height dark brown hair?]

ya, tis about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nursebetty

I'm going! I love Bell X1 I saw them at the rds a couple of months ago too and they were deadly. I haven't even got a dress yet though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I went down to the lake to witness the jump and it was the biggest anti-climax ever. It was on the far side by O' Reilly hall and he pretty much lowered himself in by the corner. What a sham! I am going to the ball though, haven't seen Ball x1 live I hear they're great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Think il go too-one of me mates won a ticket so we said we'd both pay 30euro each which seems fair enough!Dont know what dress to wear though-four years in college and been a bridesmaid twice its amazing how many dresses you accumulate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Could someone from the SU just explain why it cast so much? No-one will go to this overpriced ball just because they ruined a tuxedo., (Will the SU have to pay for that?)

By the sound of it a pretty half assed idea but who's surprised?

It is a pity it costs so much but how else would one keep the riffraff out?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

humbert wrote:
    It is a pity it costs so much but how else would one keep the riffraff out?
    Metal detectors. That or burn down O'Connell street bridge (just tell them there are unionists nearby).

While I'm not going to debate the logic of your proposal their way is more profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Metal detectors. That or burn down O'Connell street bridge (just tell them there are unionists nearby).

I'd love to report that for the laugh... But you know how I feel about said issues...

Ok I know nothing about sound and eh stuff like that... but I was looking at the plans today ...wont all the noises from the different stages clash because they're so close together? [I'd love if someone could explain this to me!]

I could but I'm not going to:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Could someone from the SU just explain why it cast so much? No-one will go to this overpriced ball just because they ruined a tuxedo., (Will the SU have to pay for that?)

I have absolutly nothing to do with the ucd ball or anything ents related cos I can't imagine anything more head wrecking but I asume that it costs so much because of the relativly small venue size, they won't be able to sell loads and loads of tickets so they have to cover their costs by charging more... I could be wrong, but three stages don't come cheep like.

I persoanlly can't imagine anything less fun than seeing (crap) bands in a fancy dress and heels.
    Hello, the appropriate outfit for a concert includes jeans and comfortable shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Yeah.. debs' are scruffy enough occasions to be wearing tuxes and dresses. Having an occasion set up for you to run between stages and be bumped into by crowds of people carrying drinks and making it a formal wear event is a little silly.. Black tie occasions should be solely indoors.

I think it could be fun anyway (And i have my own suit ;)) but i'm not up for paying e60 and I really didn't enjoy the fresher's festival.. Crowded, not allowed bring your own drink (yeah, yeah, they're running a proper occasion.. But still.. it's College.. I don't wanna be checked and have to dump stuff into a bin like i'm going to the damn Point and then pay e4-e5 or whatever for a crappy pint.)

Edit: And the lake jump was kinda crappy... There were multiple photographers and they told him what way to jump in, what way to look etc. Then he redid it. Not thrown or fun or spontaneous at all...

• Advertisement
Advertisement