Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

install .dll file into windows folder with limited rights?

• 03-04-2006 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have to install an update to 250 laptops that are fairly severly locked down i.e. very limited rights. They are pretty much stand alone laptops i.e. no active directory etc.

I need to install a .dll file into windows folder with limited rights?

I know i can do it admin mode but that involves a lot more work as i want to just send out a self install cd that will do the lot under their restricted profile.

Does anyone know any piece of software that can do this? or is there anything im missing in Windows XP?

Any help appreciated

Dwayne

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If they are on the network just push the DLL into the folder

for /L %%a in (10,1,100) do xcopy DDL.dll %%a\admin$ /D /C /Y

you could also deploy using a policy.

as for a self install CD you could write a batch file with the local admin password embedded in it and then compile the batch file into an exe - not the road I'd go down

could you put the dll into the program's folder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Tks midnight

Sadly the DLL has to go into the winnt folder or so our in house developers tell me anyway!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They use a group of batch files at the moment so i think i will have to go down this route of using the admin password and doing sometype of RUNAS in the batch file:eek: :eek:

If anyone has done this i would welcome their feedback

Tks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They use a group of batch files at the moment so i think i will have to go down this route of using the admin password and doing sometype of RUNAS in the batch file:eek: :eek: Tks
    only consider the password in the batch file as a last resort and you can confirm it will be encrypted by being compiled and you plan to change it shortly afterwards - otherwise someone will figure it out.

even if they only dial in you could still push the DLL to thier machine by continious looping of the push file ?

Advertisement