Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomb Raider: Legend

Options
  • 03-04-2006 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I played the PC demo of this over the weekend and was pretty impressed. The new developer seems to have reinvigorated the franchise.

They have gone back to the roots of the originals, with a, if it's not broken don't change it approach. It's the usual mix of jumping and box pushing. The one or two puzzles in the demo were logical and enjoyable enough.

It's not earth-shattering and dosen't surpase Prince of Persia imo, but seems worth a purchase (only £17.99 on the PC too).

Has anyone else played it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to read a few reviews before I get it. The first game was one of the all time greats but the series just got silly after the first level of Tomb Raider 2, Too much emphasis on dreadful combat with humans that involved jumping from side to side and some god awful stealth along with uninteresting locales. TR was about exploring lost civilizations and solving puzzles. I hope the developers learned a lot from PoP. I'm hoping this is the return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I played the PS2 demo recently and yeah, it was very nice. A welcome return to... y'know.. raiding tombs. Controls were very fluid and sensible and the whole thing struck me as what they should have done as the next evolution of Lara instead of Angel of Darkness. Heck, even the graphics on the PS2 were actually pretty (although I'll probably end up buying on the Xbox). One thing that's stood out from the reviews I've read has been the length of the game: apparently, it's very short and finishes just when it's getting into its stride.

One thing I did notice though, particularly in the cut-scenes... have they given Lara some DOA-style jiggling?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

have they given Lara some DOA-style jiggling?

Progress my friend, progress. And I'm hoping for bump-mapping for the nipples on the next-gen versions, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Yeah I liked it a lot, played the PC demo, looks pretty fantastic. The controls are pretty fluid, and the Xbox360 controller is just about perfect for it, but still not quite sands of time fluid. It's nice to see automated grabbing for ledges, sometimes in the past it was far too awkward to get jumps right. New developers seem to have proved their worth any way-I shall be picking up a copy as soon as guitar hero starts to bore me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

will rent it first, the last one was thoroughly dissapointing. Really enjoyed 1 and 2, never bothered to finish 3 but liked it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Progress my friend, progress. And I'm hoping for bump-mapping for the nipples on the next-gen versions, myself.

If there is an ice level I'll be buying it for the 360 just to see the, eh, lovely bump mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Just played the PC demo - a pleasant surprise. Welcome back Lara! :D

Advertisement