Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Company strikes again

Options
  • 03-04-2006 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Is there any law to prevent an insurance company revoking an insurance quote given only last week -deciding that they wont insure the car???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

sneakyST wrote:
    Is there any law to prevent an insurance company revoking an insurance quote given only last week -deciding that they wont insure the car???

Usually when a quote is given, there is an accompanying 'sell-by' date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Normally all quotes are given with a sell by date. Other than that the only reason I can think of for revoking the quote is them claiming that your information was not accurate/correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

No the info was correct. I even got a reference number. They said they made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Usually the quote is good for 15 - 30 days depending on the insurance company. If the information you gave them is wrong then they would have grounds for withdrawing it.

Did they give you a reason as to why they have withdrawn the quote?

Have a read of the small print in the terms and conditions of the quote. If the reason is not in there then legally they may be obliged to honour the quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

sneakyST wrote:
    No the info was correct. I even got a reference number. They said they made a mistake.

Was it an online quote?

I think internet laws are different and when a genuine mistake is made the company in question can refuse to honor it. I'm far from 100% sure on this so it might be worth asking Consumer Affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seranka

If they made a mistake then yes they can withdraw the offer. Human error happens sometimes and the person quoting probably entered the wrong details. Its tough but it happens.

Yeah they quoted for the wrong model ...silly arses....Axa will quote though ...only 300 in the difference so its not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Was it Hibernian by any chance?

bazz26 wrote:
    Was it an online quote?

I think internet laws are different and when a genuine mistake is made the company in question can refuse to honor it. I'm far from 100% sure on this so it might be worth asking Consumer Affairs.

Internet laws? What are you talking about!

We are citizens of Ireland not Internetland

no it was eagle star. FBD and axa are the only ones who would quote.

• Advertisement
Advertisement