Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about mixing heating fuels

Options
  • 03-04-2006 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

I've just had bolier serviced and a new burner installed. It's been running on Diesel and tank needs a refill as it's almost empty. The guy who serviced it said to switch to Kerosene as it's cleaner burning and cheaper. Is there any problem with this ? i.e. mixing Kero with the small amount of diesel left in the tank or any other issues I should consider.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I could be wrong but most burners need the jet changed to run on Kerosene, it has no lubricant in the blend and can burn cleaner, that's why the boilers with balanced flues run on kerosene.

A small mix of the fuels shouldn't cause a problem, to play safe you could allow the tank to run out and then fill up with kerosene bleeding the burner shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Canaboid wrote:
    I've just had bolier serviced and a new burner installed. It's been running on Diesel and tank needs a refill as it's almost empty. The guy who serviced it said to switch to Kerosene as it's cleaner burning and cheaper. Is there any problem with this ? i.e. mixing Kero with the small amount of diesel left in the tank or any other issues I should consider.

Thanks for any input.
    There will not be a problem with a small amount of diesel left in the tank - but, fill the tank fully, so that the mix will be mainly kerosene. It will run OK, but after a day or so running, you should get that guy back again to re-adjust the burner. It will need a slightly larger size nozzle (unless he left the larger nozzle in the new burner) and lower oil pressure. It should also run quieter. I am not sure that it is cheaper. It is slightly dearer than Diesel, but runs more efficiently.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

The guy who serviced it said to switch to Kerosene as it's cleaner burning
    I would agree but also a burner setup for diesel should be OK too. I have used both but am using Kero at the moment.
    A small mix of the fuels shouldn't cause a problem
    I would also agree with this, but I dont think it necessary to let it run out.
    The pump pressure and sometimes the air setting are the only differences for Kero and diesel.

What is the new burner set up for Kero or Diesel? New burners usually come already setup but we would check pump pressure dependant on what fuel was being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Sorry James M you beat me too it.
    Would you change the jet or just adjust the pump pressure or do both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Most new burners are now set up for kero. If Canaboid is still on diesel and the guy did not change the nozzle or oil pressure, it could give trouble on a cold morning like this. (Spluttering, smokey and maybe even cut out). If he raised the oil pressure, the flame will be steadier, but maybe too big for the boiler (damage baffles etc.) Therefore, if he raised the oil pressure, he should have put in a smaller jet. If he knew that it was only for a short time he may have just chanced it.
    flocker wrote:
    Sorry James M you beat me too it.
    Would you change the jet or just adjust the pump pressure or do both?
    If a boiler/burner was properly set up for diesel with the flame the perfect size for the chamber, and you changed to kero and lowered the oil pressure, you would then have a very small flame, which would not give the required amount of heat. The answer would be to put in a larger nozzle.
    You could leave the pressure up, but you get a quieter, smoother, cleaner flame with the lower pressure.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement