Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike Q (50cc)

• 03-04-2006 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Please help……..

Is it legal for an over 18yr old to drive a de-restricted 50cc scooter on the general car/moped/motorbike provisional licence?

Also is it essential that both feet should be able to touch the ground when the bike has stopped?

Apologies if these questions seem stupid but I do not want to buy a bike that isn’t suitable, safe and legal and I am getting lots of different answers from the net and friends that have biked for years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

dont qoute me on this but youll need at least a provisional A1 licence (A if its over 33bhp but since its a scooter you shouldnt have to worry about it),
    never heard of the feet on the ground thing before, if so a good few of us would be off the roads, for me and can get both feet not perfectly on the ground but get good enough grip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

A full car license is classed as a full moped license if the engine is 50cc or under. Not sure what the restriction is on a provisional license.

AFAIK, both your insurance and your licensing may be in question if riding a de-restricted moped.

In fairness though, I dont know anyone with a moped who hasnt had it de-restricted.

With restriction youre limited (supposedly) to 45Km/hr, though its usually a bit more, so de-restricting may void your insurance.

Dont know if this answers you question or not.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

To drive a moped capable of over 45km/h you MUST have at least a category A1 provisional (but seeing as you're over 18 you just apply for the A provisional to be honest, unless you want to pass a driving test on a restricted to automatics A1 bike-pointless exercise really).

If the moped is not capable of over 45km/h and is under 50cc you can ride it with a FULL car (cat B) licence but NOT with just a cat B provisional, so if you've not done the theory test you'll need to do it to get a provisional A licence to allow you to ride this moped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The feet question. Most bikers won't put both feet on the ground because they're covering the rear brake. Also some bikes are too high for a person to put both feet on the ground at the same time. Make sure that you get you're feet up as soon as you're moving. Also a good idea to wear boots to protect your feet and ankles. Runners are just a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stronger

Thanks everyone.

Yep I’ve done the theory test. Checked with the insurance I was quoted and it won’t change because of the de-restriction.

I was concerned from a safety aspect that I should be able to reach the ground with both feet while seated but that doesn’t seem to be the case. And just in case anyone is worried – I will get some lessons.

Thanks again y’all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement