Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE5 css problems.

Options
  • 03-04-2006 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

I didn't test for IE5 compatability when I finished working on this site (due to a lack of access to it and general laziness), and now discover that it displays incorrectly, the middle column is displayed below the left hand one and the links are badly aligned.

I suspect it's something to do with the floats, but can't find a quick fix, if there is such a thing. The project was a closed book in my mind and am loathe to start tricking with it again, as it displays properly in more current browsers.

Any advice? Am tempted to just leave it, the most current usage statistics I can find for IE5 put it at 5% or so, though I suspect it's slightly more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

try floating the news div to the left.
    You css style looks like it needs some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Change the #post rule to this:
    #post {
      width: 314px;
      margin: 0 0 0 130px;
      padding: 0;
      clear: none;
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Thanks Serbian, that has cleared up the main issue and made it presentable in IE5, you're a gentleman and a scholar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

impr0v wrote:
    Thanks Serbian, that has cleared up the main issue and made it presentable in IE5, you're a gentleman and a scholar!

The only other problems I can see in IE5 are the Navigation menu is indented 15px too many and the links don't change colour when you hover over them. Both those issues can be fixed by swapping the #links ul rules with the following:
    #links ul {
    	width: 110px;
    	margin: 7px 0px 0px 0px; 
    	padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
    }

#links li {
    	width: 100px;
    	list-style-type: none;
    	font-size: 12px; 
    	line-height: 16px;
    	font-weight: normal; 
    	text-align: left; 
    	margin: 0;
    	padding: 0;
    	margin-left: -15px;
    	voice-family: "\"}\""; 
    	voice-family:inherit;
    	margin-left: 0;
    }

html>body #links li {
    	margin-left: 0;
    } 

#links li a {
    	display: block;
    	width: 100px;
    	padding: 3px 0px 3px 10px;
    }

#links li a:hover {
    	background-color: #F1D574;
    }

PS: Love the Megalomania quote in your custom title!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Your code above fixed the links and with the fixes in it I was able to tidy up the logos on the right which were displaying closer to the middle column that they should have been. Thanks again.
    Serbian wrote:
    PS: Love the Megalomania quote in your custom title!

Heh, it was a tough choice between that one and 'Pukka design'

• Advertisement
Advertisement