Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a 3d graphics card benchmarking programme?

Options
  • 03-04-2006 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've just bought a 7900 GT and I wanted to test it and make sure i'm getting the best out of it. I've never used any benchmarking software or anything before.

Could some one recommend something I could download and use to test my system performance? If you could also detail some of the more important numbers and statistics that I should be looking for, that'd be appreciated. ;)

Ta very much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Synthetic benchmarks are useful to test a card to make sure it's okay or simply to see some numbers to compare against, but they don't really tell you anything about how it performs in a game due to all the variances in such a thing like the AI, sound, engine etc.

If you want to check something bearing in mind that the results are only comparable to other 3D Mark tests then register a free account with Futuremark download 3D Mark 05/06 run the bench's and compare them against the closest thing that matches your system hardware wise.

Again this wont tell you anything about a game or how bad/well it runs on your system just how well 3D Mark does vs others who ran 3D Mark. Also be in mind to watch out that a lot of the results on Futuremarks Orb are from overclocked systems so weed out those.

If you want to record the FPS in game use something like Fraps, also many games have in-built benchmarks for example FEAR has a good one and their are many automated game benchmark tools for others like Farcry, Half Life 2.

If you want to delve even deeper with synthetic tests then check out Shadermark.

Advertisement