Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about cleaning, and getting said bike cleaned

• 03-04-2006 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to know if anybody knows anywhere in dublin to get you're bike cleaned.

Sure i have no problem gettin out with the old sponge and hot water, but it's the tough to reach places that are the places u really want to clean.

any takers ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Don't be silly :D

Thats the best thing about owning a bike, cleaning it yourself.

I got a Flash gun thing last week and its fantastic. It strips the oil off and actually leaves the bike with a nice shine, even without wax.

http://www.freshliving.com/flashcarwash/features.htm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

and gunk is great for doin the engine block.

autosol is also the bees knees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Send it down to me :D Sure I took the engine out of me AS1 to polish underneath it!

Do they still make gunk? Think its that modern girly stuff with all the toxic stuff removed. If it doesnt poison ye it wont clean proper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

DONT USE A PRESSURE WASHER!!!!

it can seriously feck up the electrics, o-ring/x-ring chains, paint work...etc

just get a big bucket of soapy water, gunk, a toothbrush & put some heavy metal on & enjoy yourself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

yea i've been told a few times not to trick with pressure washers alright, heard about steam cleaning though.

i'll have to see if i can source me sum of this gunk u speak of though.

already have the toothbrush and the heavy metal :)

• Advertisement

oh yeah dont use steam washers either, i know of a black blackbird that became yellow after a steam cleaner

instead of gunk, just use petrol.. make sure u wear gloves though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I have to say I find muck off to be good my-self. Although it cant get lube off the alloys for crap. But everything else comes off with a shine left behind.

muck off isnt bad.. but for the chain lube, oil, road dirt, u cant beat petrol..:D

sutty u still got ure Dragstar ?

tis just painfull to get in those damn tight places..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Whats the gunk stuff you speak of?!

Dr4gul4 wrote:

nah I'm on a Ducati monster now. Cleaning time has gone from 2-3 hours or utter pain (and sunburn many a time) to 30-50min of ease and joy (most of that is filling the bucket with the crappy taps in the house) lol

PS... who are you and why are you stalking me?

PPS.... are you hot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Dr4gul4 wrote:

The Dragstar must go down as the best remover of knuckle skin I have come across. Mind you it is a great looking and very comfortable cheese grater.

Cal.

Dragstar comfortable? which one???:eek:

Well I reckon the 650 is very comfortable for Cruising. Which is what it is built for.

Nothing worse than a little V-Twin numb bum.

Cal.

sutty wrote:
    nah I'm on a Ducati monster now. Cleaning time has gone from 2-3 hours or utter pain (and sunburn many a time) to 30-50min of ease and joy (most of that is filling the bucket with the crappy taps in the house) lol

PS... who are you and why are you stalking me?

PPS.... are you hot?

the answer to most of these is no dude, as im a dude, i know u through Darkside, ppc, dardoz the list goes on, brough the bike to the last lan up in phibsborough.

so n e way ..

it seems it's 2 - 3 hours of hard work reguardless. :(

anybody know where to buy this gunk stuff ?

and yes 650 is very nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I bought a can of GUNK in Mountjoy Motorcycles last week.

I had a 650 for 2 years, bought it new.. an I got me arse transplant when I sold it..Still.. it looked GOOD!
    to keep it clean, I only ever used water and Mr Muscle window cleaner for the chrome(DO NOT use windowlean, as it damages plastic), and Autoglym or mister sheen for the paint...and when I sold it .. it looked like new..
    Autosol is too harsh for the chrome...Grand for Aluminium.

Dr4gul4 wrote:
    the answer to most of these is no dude, as im a dude, i know u through Darkside, ppc, dardoz the list goes on, brough the bike to the last lan up in phibsborough.

so n e way ..

it seems it's 2 - 3 hours of hard work reguardless. :(

anybody know where to buy this gunk stuff ?

and yes 650 is very nice

hehe damn, there never hot singel chicks. Ah well.

Yeah there is nothing like a Dragstar for taking the hands off ya. I think mine have become hardend from it. Still though while the dragstar was nice. I love the duc. Much better for longer drivers as your not sitting upright. That used to reck my arms after a hour or two on the road at 70/80mph.

The Doktor wrote:
    I had a 650 for 2 years, bought it new.. an I got me arse transplant when I sold it..Still.. it looked GOOD!
    to keep it clean, I only ever used water and Mr Muscle window cleaner for the chrome(DO NOT use windowlean, as it damages plastic), and Autoglym or mister sheen for the paint...and when I sold it .. it looked like new..
    Autosol is too harsh for the chrome...Grand for Aluminium.

a light go over with a brillow pad always done wonders for me. Took rust/tar off nice and easly

• Advertisement

brillo pad? holy jaysus i wouldnt put them within a mile of chrome! it puts small scratches in it, and eventually they will build up.. and the chrome will look dull..also can take the chrome off altogether..

yer i'd be worried about scratchin the crome also,also need to find sum fink to take a few scratches of the tank :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i used autosol on my few chromey bits and it works great. when the father had a CB750 i got sent to do it for an entire afternoon, i now hate chrome and polishing. my poor creature has been polished once in two years :blush:

pity the drag has sooo much crome though :(

Dr4gul4 wrote:
    pity the drag has sooo much crome though :(

It wouldn't look so good if it didn't though. But yea it is a long painful job to keep it looking all nice and shiny.:)

This is lovely cruising weather............long may it last.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

While not using a pressure washer is a reasonable rule of thumb, if you use one with due care (no direct spray on electrics/seals), you'll have no problems. I've been using one for years, on many different bikes, and have never had any trouble as a result.
    Top tip of the day: Remove that surface rust/tough stains with toilet cleaner. The likes of Domestos do a great job. And no, I'm not making it up. Just pour it on, leave it for about 20 mins, and thoroughly wash/wipe it off. Spokes come up like new. :)

Garibaldi wrote:
    Top tip of the day: Remove that surface rust/tough stains with toilet cleaner. The likes of Domestos do a great job. And no, I'm not making it up. Just pour it on, leave it for about 20 mins, and thoroughly wash/wipe it off. Spokes come up like new. :)

The spokes where the one thing I could never get done right. always looked dirty.

As for the brillow pad. Its made for crome and pollished steal. Its a lighter alloy than crome. So if you dont force it, you wont have any problems.

Luckly now I have the Monster, there is soooooo little to clean on it.

thats why id always get spokes changed to stainless... then they stay clean:D

my autosol'd spokes came out great. got so bored the back wheel is as black as the rubber though....

• Advertisement

The Doktor wrote:
    thats why id always get spokes changed to stainless... then they stay clean:D
    but they just dont look as pretty

Advertisement