Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to grow coriander

Options
  • 03-04-2006 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Signed up to this board tonight for one purpose but spent more time reading about and responding to other peoples intersting problems! One of my favourite herbs is coriander. It takes 2 weeks to germinate and then green leaflets spring up on long leggy white stems and then after another 2 weeks it just keels over. I have had so little success with raising this from seed and it irritates me to have to buy it from supermarket as supply is unreliable, seasonal and also more costly. AND I prefer the enjoyment of growing my own! Can any expert out there give me advice on growing coriander all year round in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I get the same thing, i.e. it spurts up and then either keels over or goes to seed. I've taken to just planting one pot full, harvesting it and then starting all over again, maybe 5 or 6 times a summer. Never had any luck growing it indoors, or outside except in the summer months. I've often wondered whether it's a seed thing, i.e. I've always just used the normal coriander seed that I'd use in cooking. Maybe the seeds they use to grow coriander leaves commercially is a different variety or something that is a little sturdier.

P.S. You might try in the Food/Drink forum (or the Cooking/Recipes sub-forum) as well. Lot's of foodies there :)

Advertisement