Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my NTL doesn't work now

• 03-04-2006 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hello guys

I am using NTL 2M broadband, this afternoon it just disconnected, and no matter I rebooted my PC or reboot the cable modem, it just did not work at all. now my IP address is assigned as 192.168.100.10, as you know this is not the IP address I should have.

anybody had the same problem as this? I tried to call them but nobody answer the phone :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Chr1s

Cable Modem Status
    Item Status Comments
    Acquire a Downstream Channel 418750000 Hz Locked
    Connectivity State In Progress Ranging Complete
    Boot State In Progress Waiting for DHCP Offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Chr1s wrote:
    Hello guys

I am using NTL 2M broadband, this afternoon it just disconnected, and no matter I rebooted my PC or reboot the cable modem, it just did not work at all. now my IP address is assigned as 192.168.100.10, as you know this is not the IP address I should have.

anybody had the same problem as this? I tried to call them but nobody answer the phone :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I had NTL for a while and it used to just drop out for no reason 3 or 4 times a week. So I got rid of it. Digital TV wasn't much better. Got Eircom Broadband and Sky Digital and both are so reliable - like it used to be before I moved house. NTL IMO is a load of rubbish - steer clear of ot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

crosstownk wrote:
    I had NTL for a while and it used to just drop out for no reason 3 or 4 times a week. So I got rid of it. Digital TV wasn't much better. Got Eircom Broadband and Sky Digital and both are so reliable - like it used to be before I moved house. NTL IMO is a load of rubbish - steer clear of ot.

My experience is the opposite, NTL is far more stable and reliable then DSL* and the TV service is better value for money in a multiroom setup.

* I've had both DSL and NTL and I frequently work from home, which means using the net intensively all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

crosstownk wrote:

I think you'll find that you are in a small minority. My experince with having DSL previously and using Eircom business broadband is that NTL is consistently the same. e.g any time I do a speed test I get the same results 2.98 mbps down 289kpbs up - no deviation whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Strangely there's another thread a couple of clicks down where most people are complaining about poor speeds with NTL, referring to them as children, getting a different story from CS depending on the time of day, promised broadband in two months time, etc. The hallmarks of a quality company I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Blaster99 wrote:
    Strangely there's another thread a couple of clicks down where most people are complaining about poor speeds with NTL, referring to them as children, getting a different story from CS depending on the time of day, promised broadband in two months time, etc. The hallmarks of a quality company I agree.

You know perfectly well that the upgrades are happening at the moment, NTL are always a bit ropey for about a week or two after upgrades, it was the same last year.

Once the upgrades finish, things will stabilise and we will have one of the fastest consumer BB services in the country.

It is also worth noting that in the Broadband Providers Poll thread at the top of this forum, NTL has the best ratio of happy customers to not happy (74:2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

all I can say is, I've had IBB, Eircon and NTL and NTL wins hands down and since I got my 3mb upgraded to

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bps

I'm singing.............

BTW thier customer support is far better than than IBB and Eircom and did I metion its cheaper than SMART?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

Chr1s wrote:
    Hello guys

Disable the Local area connection. Turn off the computer and the modem. After 30 sec plug back the modem only wait for sync and ready to stabilise. Start your computer enable the Local area connection and see what address you get.

Also make sure your IP address has not become specified somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

bk wrote:
    You know perfectly well that the upgrades are happening at the moment, NTL are always a bit ropey for about a week or two after upgrades, it was the same last year.

Hopefully that's the case, but it's clearly not without fault. You said it's more reliable than ADSL, which I think is a bit of an optimistic statement to be honest. eircom's network got a bit wonky as well after the upgrades but that was of course upgrading 10 times the number of customers plus dealing with at least five resellers in half a day.
    bk wrote:
    Once the upgrades finish, things will stabilise

Hopefully.
    bk wrote:
    It is also worth noting that in the Broadband Providers Poll thread at the top of this forum, NTL has the best ratio of happy customers to not happy (74:2).

Good point.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Hopefully that's the case, but it's clearly not without fault. You said it's more reliable than ADSL, which I think is a bit of an optimistic statement to be honest. eircom's network got a bit wonky as well after the upgrades but that was of course upgrading 10 times the number of customers plus dealing with at least five resellers in half a day.

I work from home frequently (VPN, VNC, Samba, etc.) and constantly use the net during that time, I quickly notice any problems because if it goes down for even a moment I lose my VPN connection and I have to reconnect.

I do lose the NTL connection briefly from time to time, however it is vastly more stable then DSL was. I use to lose the VPN connection once a day with DSL, I only lose it about once every two weeks with NTL. Also I can not remember any time that I've had an extended period of downtime (greater then 5 minutes) with NTL, while with DSL I would have at least one hours worth of downtime per week.

Now that isn't to say that a person in a different area might not have more problems with NTL, but in my experience and it would seem in the experience of most NTL users, it tends to be far more reliable.

BTW I also found NTL customer support to be far more helpful, knowledgeable and efficient then any other CS in any sort of company that I've ever had to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I haven't looked back since ditching DSL for NTL. Granted I was with UTVInternet which probably isn't the best comparison, but NTL has been and still is rock solid at 2.95Mbps down/294kbps up.
    I haven't noticed any disruption to the service yet so they probably haven't started doing my area, but if and when it happens I accept that there will be teething problems.
    Anyway, why is everyone complaining? Only a few years ago I was paying for 2 lines with Eircom so I could get ISDN!

bk wrote:
    BTW I also found NTL customer support to be far more helpful, knowledgeable and efficient then any other CS in any sort of company that I've ever had to deal with.

I'd agree with this 100% IBB were dreadful and so too was Eircon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Blaster99 wrote:

And you'll see the same complaint about Eircom et al......so don't feel special.:rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

crosstownk wrote:

Currently ditching the Eircom line for Blueface VOIP. Cheaper and better than Eircom. No Line Rental. Paired with NTL BB. Match made in heaven.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i have noticed that ntl have been dropping again. i am sick of it! this has been going on since at least last december. if they are upgrading they are taking there time! by the way, i had a call from them the other night. asking if i would be interested in broadband as it is coming into my area! i informed the twat that i have broadband for the last 3 years with them! he contradicted me and told me i couldnt have!!! the cheek!! anyway, then he tried to tell me that i could have digital as this was new to my area also and i also told him that i had it put in three years ago also around the time i got the broadband but found it so crap i had it taken out and got sky. are these guys trained at all??

tabatha wrote:
    i have noticed that ntl have been dropping again. i am sick of it! this has been going on since at least last december. if they are upgrading they are taking there time! by the way, i had a call from them the other night. asking if i would be interested in broadband as it is coming into my area! i informed the twat that i have broadband for the last 3 years with them! he contradicted me and told me i couldnt have!!! the cheek!! anyway, then he tried to tell me that i could have digital as this was new to my area also and i also told him that i had it put in three years ago also around the time i got the broadband but found it so crap i had it taken out and got sky. are these guys trained at all??

Taking that they where probably just working from a spreadsheet they would need to be trained in telekinesis to know you had BB already. Calling him a twat is a bit excessive don’t you think.

i dont think so. i dont expect a company that i have a contract with to call me and ask me if i want a product that i already have with them and then to contradict me when i tell him i have it. thats pure thick if you ask me. and this is what i am paying them for? they need to get there act together.

by the way. i called ntl today about my connection and why it "drops" every so often. the guy in tech support told me that unless i call at the excat time it happens there isnt much they can do. (bearing in mind that they only open until 7.30pm) so if it happens after this tough. i called them before and depending on who u get through to they either want to send a guy out or else tell you that there are problems in the area. anyway, while on i asked him about upgrading in the area and could this be the reason i get dropped as i had read it could be on boards.ie. he tuted and said "oh, i thought that they might be involved". obivously not a fan! he also said that irish ip test site is no good for testing speeds.

untitled1dl.gif

:D Upgraded in D15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Drapper wrote:
    I'd agree with this 100% IBB were dreadful and so too was Eircon

So what speed are you on now then?

So what speed are you on now then?
    untitled3de.th.gif

• Advertisement

tabatha wrote:
    he also said that irish ip test site is no good for testing speeds.

Irish ISP test IS no good for testing speeds.

On the BB upgrade thread there is a post from someone where Irish ISP told them the had a 3.5 Mb connection then a test down load form 2 different websites showing transfer rates of 1000KB+ fairly definitive proof that results form Irish ISP are not reliable.

then what site is??

A test download from a reasonable fast site. ftp.heanet.ie or something.

Advertisement