Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuchias

Options
  • 03-04-2006 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I'm still new to gardening (in my second year now) and new questions come up all the time :-)
    I've got two (hardy) fuchias, one with fancy orange blooms and one ordinary one which are now just what looks like dead wood. Do I need to cut that back, and if so, all the way back to ground level or just half-way?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 VK

Hi Morgana,

You should cut back your fuchias to just half at the moment and shortly you'll be blooming again!!

(Weather Permitting:D )

VK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Thanks, VK. Will do so tomorrow :-) as the weather is supposed to be nice for most of the week ;) .
    BTW got one of these walk-in (alu frame + reinforced plastic sheeting) green houses from Aldi and put it up yesterday. With plenty of heavy stones keeping the frame on the gound, it hardly moved even in fairly high winds (F6-7) yesterday. And the heat generated inside is fierce :-). I've started peppers & chillies inn a seed tray, so they will go in the greenhouse once the frost is over ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

'Fuschias' I think is the word!

Does that plastic on the greenhouse not breakdown after a year or two when exposed to the sunlight?

Ooops I thought it looked wrong but was too lazy to check :rolleyes: I stand corrected :o
    Re greenhouse, I don't expect it to last forever, we'll see. I'll probably bring it into the shed over winter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'm confused now!

It's in fact "Fuchsia" --- that look better?

• Advertisement

Ah well, spelling of plant names isn't my strong suit ... ;)
    Just to put it to rest once and for all:

Thats what the Oxfoprd dictionary said:

fuchsia /"fju:<longs><schwa>/ n.L18. [mod.L, f. Leonhard Fuchs (1501–66), Ger. botanist: see -IA1.]1 Any of various ornamental shrubs of the chiefly S. American genus Fuchsia, of the willowherb family, having drooping flowers freq. with purple-red sepals and perigynous tube. L18.

Advertisement