Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Limits / Eircom and such

• 03-04-2006 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey People,

Just let me say, great site and a great bunch of people. I have a question about the 20gig download limit which is imposed by eircom ect. My question is what happens when/if you reach or go over this limit they impose?

I am from Crumlin Dublin, but I live in Florida now in the states. I left Dublin to live over here about 4 years ago. It appears to me, that the Irish Market for Internet Access needs to be shaken up. The products that are being sold by the ISP's seam to be to be over priced and capped way to much.

For example, my Internet connection here in Florida costs me $39.99 a month 32 euro and I get a 5mb line without any litiations on it. I get an average speed of about 4 - 4.5 mb and can download as much as I want, run a many networked computers as I want from it ect.When I read of the people back home getting crappy 1 - 2 mb lines and the poor people down the country getting 512k if their lucky, I'm like jayes are we back in the stone age or something back in Ireland. I think its riduclous for Internet access to be this way. Am I missing something? Please fill me in because If I ever moved home and lost my 5 mb cable connection, I would go crazy.

Thanks for your imput.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

You got it pretty spot on.

Your 5Mbit from eircom would cost €200 a month....~6times what your paying in the US!!!
    But you must also remember thatin the last 12months(almost to the day) the best home DSL from eircom has gone from 512k to 3Mbit!
    Basically weve gone from the stone age to the Dark ages of internet access in a little over 12months.
    That puny 5Mbit connection is still nothing in comparison to what you can get in the rest of Europe where 10Mbit and 20Mbit connections are getting very common and cost about what your paying in the US.

And that is what makes it all the more sickening!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i just moved back from california, had 1.5m down for 19 dollars a month, unlimited downloads..

the speeds here are fine..it's the download limits that are the killer...tough to keep up with all my american shows when they limit how much i can download..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The download speeds might be fine but the upload is a sham unless you are on Irish Broadband Breeze.

what do you want fast uploads for? filesharing is about the only thing i can think of, unless you are a web developer uploading high amounts of graphics...

i had 1.5meg down, 128K up and it never bothered me, i have 1 meg down and up now, but the up will never get used...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

mossym wrote:
    what do you want fast uploads for? filesharing is about the only thing i can think of, unless you are a web developer uploading high amounts of graphics...

i had 1.5meg down, 128K up and it never bothered me, i have 1 meg down and up now, but the up will never get used...

Streaming broadcast quality video upload from your home Sky Sub to a laptop in your hotel... Needs about 2M bps for MPEG4 re-encoding.

Digiweb upload is 512K and cap 30G with 3M dowload on basice Metro Wireless.

• Advertisement

ah yeah that would do it alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

What about eircom upload cap?Is there one? I have the home starter and on the site it says 10G Download limit. What happens when I go over this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What about eircom upload cap?Is there one? I have the home starter and on the site it says 10G Download limit. What happens when I go over this?
    You're put on the naughty step.

Seriously, use the search function. This has been discussed ad nauseam.

Advertisement