Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus IS200

Options
  • 03-04-2006 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a 99 - 00 manual Lexus IS200

Probably looking to pay around 13,000 - 15,000

Still quite expensive for a 6-7 year old car in my book

Any thoughts? Should I wait until next year when prices drop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Be aware when buying. Check and check again.

Lately, I've seen many young lads driving these, driving them hard and using its RWD to full effect.
    These along with the Beams engined model are quite popular at the moment, so most likely the reason for the good price they are going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bedrock1001

I wont be going for the beams model, just the basic spec

And I will be buying from a lexus dealer just to be sure, dont mind paying a bit extra for a warranty and a decent guarantee that the car will be in good nick.

Really just looking for a bit of performance and comfort for regular driving around the country

Also in my opinion the styling is fantastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not too much to look out for. the gearbox always clunks between 1st and 2nd even when new.

Dealer Cover will sort you out for 12 months anyway. try to get a Sport model with LSD and uprated stereo/wheels/suspension. much better than the Chenille base model

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah just be careful of the Jap imports, it's rebadged as the Toyota Altezza but most Lexus dealers don't touch these versions.

Nice car but I heard that the 2.0 V6 is a bit thirsty though. The 6-speed gearbox is nice and smooth also. Also Watch the 17" alloys on Irish roads

Try and get the Executive or Sport model as these may have a leather interior.

Here is a nice 1999 example with low mileage but no warranty though:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=393278

Looks nice bazz26 - its a toyota so reliability is not really an issue so not too pushed about the warranty.

have been offered a sport model. just waiting for the dealer to get it in.

Its going to be a big change though -> from a 1.1 to a 2 litre, dreading the jump in fuel consumption!!

but I hear the mpg is not too bad if you take it easy enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

That's a lovely example.
    My only worry is that these are now catching the interest of skangers (at least the Jap imports are). Won't do much fot the image...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

pburns wrote:
    My only worry is that these are now catching the interest of skangers

Aye. You wouldn't want your neighbour to drive one of these:

stevedave250905LexusIS2001.jpg

bonzai01lexus.jpg

image-altezza.jpg

Altezza_kapot_karbon_Wurz_860.jpg

Looks like they are progressing from the 316i then. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

pburns wrote:
    That's a lovely example.
    My only worry is that these are now catching the interest of skangers (at least the Jap imports are). Won't do much fot the image...

Good point - although these type of people have gotten their hands on 3 Series BMW's long before the IS200's - hasn't stopped people buying them by the boatload!

IS200 is straight 6 as opposed to V6, Altezza is 4 cylinder.

• Advertisement

but sure isn't the Altezza badged as a Toyota in Japan before they decided to sell it as a Lexus in Europe and the US.

but sure isn't the Altezza badged as a Toyota in Japan before they decided to sell it as a Lexus in Europe and the US.

The IS I don't think was ever sold in the US as far as I know, too small for them. I think the smallest Lexus on sale in the US was called the ES which afaik was built in the US for the US market only.

Lexus models were badged and sold in Japan as Toyotas until last year. They were all made in the same factory afaik, just the models for the home market had Toyota badges. The new GS was the first Lexus to be sold in Japan as a Lexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Lovely cars, would have bought one in Feb'05, if it hadn't been for the boot size (too small for 'baby things').

Re. mpg, there's a fuel consumption indicator as standard, so you always know how much "she'd be drinking" at any time.

Check everything thrice, and especially under the bonnet - a few of these have been sitting on docks (either in IE, or UK then imported) for prolonged periods, and saltwater is slowly but surely doing it's thing. Some of the 99/00/01 examples I saw in early 05 had a badly rusted underbody.

Then again, at least two I went to see at a small dealer near Lucan (I think it was... down the N7?) had been rebadged Altezzas (i.e. Jap imports) which he attempted to convince me were European cars - the rebadging was poorly enough that I could see it, but I'm not sure that a 'babe in the wood' would have, though. :mad:

But they're a lovely drive and that straight 6 sounds very sweet. Nearly as sweet as that of the 4-door '95 Skyline I got to try in the UK... but not quite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

yeah but there is also a couple of engine variants.. 2L 4Cylinder Yamaha Beams engine, or the standard 2L Straight 6 Toyota VVTi engine which can mix people up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stonelakes

Hi I,m new to this site, why are there concerns with the Altezza's?Are they not of same quality?
    I'm in two minds between buying a 98 Type R Civic or a Lexus Is200. Any comments?
    Has anyone drove the 2.0 Type R civic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Stonelakes wrote:
    Hi I,m new to this site, why are there concerns with the Altezza's?Are they not of same quality?
    I'm in two minds between buying a 98 Type R Civic or a Lexus Is200. Any comments?
    Has anyone drove the 2.0 Type R civic?

dono what the problom is . i bought a altezza rs 200 a few weeks back (01/03 or so ) brought it to a garage they looked it over said it was fine . it passed the nct with no probloms . my insurance hasnt jumped by much about 100 euros . i wouldnt consider it a skanger car but everyone to there own

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

bazz26 wrote:
    The IS I don't think was ever sold in the US as far as I know, too small for them. I think the smallest Lexus on sale in the US was called the ES which afaik was built in the US for the US market only.

Lexus models were badged and sold in Japan as Toyotas until last year. They were all made in the same factory afaik, just the models for the home market had Toyota badges. The new GS was the first Lexus to be sold in Japan as a Lexus.

I think it was alright but they were the IS300, seen a few in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

elexes wrote:
    dono what the problom is . i bought a altezza rs 200 a few weeks back (01/03 or so ) brought it to a garage they looked it over said it was fine . it passed the nct with no probloms . my insurance hasnt jumped by much about 100 euros . i wouldnt consider it a skanger car but everyone to there own

What were you driving before out of interest? I'd like to see what my insurance would be on the IS 200. ATM it's €1900 on a VW PAssat.

only potential promlems with Altezza is engine and transmission availability prices

I got quoted 850 fully comp, 26 years old, full no claims, 8 years full licence from quinn direct.

Had a chat with a previous owner of a IS200 and he said everything was just right about the car :-)

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Looks like they are progressing from the 316i then. :D:D

Ah well the 316 has been around for 3 decades and I've yet to see one in white with a black bonnet ;)

that sounds about right!

another common "problem" with the IS200 that I forgot about earlier, the spring that pushes the fuel cap door outwards often breaks off, so when you pull the fuel release nothing happens, might sound insignificant, but it'd cost a good few quid to put right, also make sure the in dash CD changer works ok, some owners try to stuff more than 1 cd in at a time and break the loading mechanism, a new unit costs in the region of €1,600

yeah I think that CD problem is with the 99 - 00 models

After 01 they put in a new cd changer system because of all the complaints about the cd loading system

You can tell what which one it is if you have a gander at the cd slot
    Old cd player = cd slot on the bottom
    new cd player = cd slot on the top

unkel wrote:
    Ah well the 316 has been around for 3 decades and I've yet to see one in white with a black bonnet ;)

Well you haven't been down these neck of the woods much then. Seen one in black with the "go faster" Dodge Viper double white stripe down the middle of the bonnet, roof and boot. Ironically it had a Lexus style rear light cluster, which seems to be fairly standard issue on any early or mid 1990s 316i. I think it even had a shark fin roof ariel and front angle eye lights from the 5 Series.

Seen a few Altezas going around equally chaved up including a canary yellow one with black rims.

bazz26 wrote:
    Well you haven't been down these neck of the woods much then

No, I haven't, but surely bad areas in Dublin are as bad or worse, no?
    bazz26 wrote:
    Seen one in black with the "go faster" Dodge Viper double white stripe down the middle of the bonnet, roof and boot. Ironically it had a Lexus style rear light cluster, which seems to be fairly standard issue on any early or mid 1990s 316i

:eek: *pukes up dinner* :D

At least it wasn't white with a black bonnet though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

a mate of mine had a 02 is200 and he managed to get at best about 23mpg, grant it he wasn't tipping about in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

is200 drivers a the biggest bunch of tossers ! I was sitting at the lights beside one and the guy rolls down his window and shouts Wan*ker at me and then sped off! by the time i got to a rounaboud he was 30 yards behind me and was going mental I nearly crashed into the roundabout with the look on his face:mad: . Do not buy.

yeah I think that CD problem is with the 99 - 00 models

After 01 they put in a new cd changer system because of all the complaints about the cd loading system

You can tell what which one it is if you have a gander at the cd slot
    Old cd player = cd slot on the bottom
    new cd player = cd slot on the top

they all will go wrong if you load more than one at a time.

is200 drivers a the biggest bunch of tossers ! I was sitting at the lights beside one and the guy rolls down his window and shouts Wan*ker at me and then sped off! by the time i got to a rounaboud he was 30 yards behind me and was going mental I nearly crashed into the roundabout with the look on his face:mad: . Do not buy.

how old was this fella? ;)

but seriously all im looking for is a decent comfy motor with a bit of oomph for overtaking on long journeys

and its a savage looking motor:D

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    they all will go wrong if you load more than one at a time.

yep thats the prob - you get an err 3 on the cd player. will make sure the dealer sticks a new one in. if he doesn't ill make sure it breaks while in warranty:p

Advertisement