Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone's having a bad day!...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You've been into the sherry again haven't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

You've been into the sherry again haven't you.

*blush* Yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Poor young soul, all he wanted to do was reach out to his fellow nearby mosher...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054912435

...hardly a very friendly thing to do on the kid's fourth post!

Yes well Karl Hungus is like that. He abused me no end on the forum when I first posted there*. In fact, so much so I never went back.**

I cried for ages***

**Not true

*** not true either

* completely true.

Silverfish wrote:
    Yes well Karl Hungus is like that. He abused me no end on the forum when I first posted there*. In fact, so much so I never went back.**

I cried for ages***

And they say Heavy Metal isn't Satanic...I'm off to play all my Europe and Stryper LPs backwards...then we'll see who's laughing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, I've had a great day, thanks. Can't you tell? :)

• Advertisement

And they say Heavy Metal isn't Satanic...I'm off to play all my Europe and Stryper LPs backwards...then we'll see who's laughing!

If it makes a sort of "Mway mwah mwuh-huh-huh-huh-huh-huh" sound, then probably eporuE and repyrtS.

If it makes a sort of "Mway mwah mwuh-huh-huh-huh-huh-huh" sound, then probably eporuE and repyrtS.

Well, when I played the phrase "It's the final countdown!" backwards, I swore I could hear "I am a mod, love me, need me".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I feel like we're the ones who should be giving you Feedback when I read this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Poor young soul, all he wanted to do was reach out to his fellow nearby mosher...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054912435

...hardly a very friendly thing to do on the kid's fourth post!
    WTF is the problem?

Poster starts off-topic thread.

Users complain.

Moderator states that the thread is off-topic and locks the thread.

Seems like the smooth running of the moderation system really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Eh, this thread started two posts into that thread, so was more a complaint about the second harsh response as opposed to the locking of the thread. Still, I'm sure it was the sherry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Why has no-one said "It's the Final Countdown" to Dublinwriter yet?

Eh, this thread started two posts into that thread, so was more a complaint about the second harsh response as opposed to the locking of the thread. Still, I'm sure it was the sherry.
    Hardly harsh. Granted when I used to work in a book shop and somebody wandered in asking if we had any milk, or bread, or clothes or sweets, we'd be slightly more polite in pointing out that it was a book shop, but then they were theoretically potential customers we could get sales from later.

Also a few were quite clearly senile, so it would have been mean to do otherwise.

I agree. Hardly harsh. Hence my accusations of sherry abuse. Personally, I thought Dublinwriter was going for a record of how many consecutive threads he could start in Feedback, a record currently held by Fighting Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

This post has been deleted.

What if he was looking for people from castleknock who are into metal/rock?

Do we have to explain how our threads are related to the forums these days just incase the mods don't get it?

I agree. Hardly harsh. Hence my accusations of sherry abuse. Personally, I thought Dublinwriter was going for a record of how many consecutive threads he could start in Feedback, a record currently held by Fighting Irish.

:rolleyes:

Its feedback forum, if you don't want feedback don't have a feedback forum. Do i really have the most threads? :D

What if he was looking for people from castleknock who are into metal/rock?

Do we have to explain how our threads are related to the forums these days just incase the mods don't get it?

Carefull now, them's fightin' words.

In seriousness though, I've even had someone post on the rock/metal board looking for accommodation. It doesn't belong there at all, end of story, even if he did want to look for accommodation from people into rock/metal... Or do I just "Not get it"? :rolleyes:

Carefull now, them's fightin' words.

In seriousness though, I've even had someone post on the rock/metal board looking for accommodation. It doesn't belong there at all, end of story, even if he did want to look for accommodation from people into rock/metal... Or do I just "Not get it"? :rolleyes:

I agree people probably do post stupid ****, but how do you know that guy wasn't looking for rock/metal people in his area?

I agree people probably do post stupid ****, but how do you know that guy wasn't looking for rock/metal people in his area?

Where are you getting the idea that I'm under the impression he wasn't looking for rock/metal people in his area? I think it's fairly obvious that he is, but that's besides the point, and the point is, that kind of thread doesn't belong in the forum.

If someone posted "Anyone from x" in the film board, I'd do the same thing, and if someone posted in the games forum "Anyone from x" I'm sure the mods there would do the same thing. Most of the forums here are not chatrooms. You can't come in and say "Anyone from so and so" or "How's the weather?" or "Hey, how are you today?" as that's just off-topic chatter, doesn't matter if you're adressing a certain populous of posters.

Where are you getting the idea that I'm under the impression he wasn't looking for rock/metal people in his area? I think it's fairly obvious that he is, but that's besides the point, and the point is, that kind of thread doesn't belong in the forum.

If someone posted "Anyone from x" in the film board, I'd do the same thing, and if someone posted in the games forum "Anyone from x" I'm sure the mods there would do the same thing. Most of the forums here are not chatrooms. You can't come in and say "Anyone from so and so" or "How's the weather?" or "Hey, how are you today?" as that's just off-topic chatter, doesn't matter if you're adressing a certain populous of posters.

Fair enough, it just seems a tad harsh :)

• Advertisement

Fair enough, it just seems a tad harsh :)

All I did was close his thread. He has had no punishment of any sort for posting off topic. I don't see what's harsh about it.

All I did was close his thread. He has had no punishment of any sort for posting off topic. I don't see what's harsh about it.

Well not harsh but maybe the sort of thing that you could let slide or wait and see what the thread was about, maybe he was looking for people to join his band or whatever

maybe he was looking for people to join his band or whatever

Then he was still posting off-topic. That would belong in bands/musicians.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Talliesin wrote:
    but then they were theoretically potential customers we could get sales from later.
    In a similar way, could this guy not be a potential future customer? If you take a capitalist line of thinking - if he likes the place, he might subscribe. If he regarded the response as harsh, he might find that his first impression of the place is that it is unfriendly, and it might be some time before he comes back (assuming he does).

It's also better for boards to have as many active accounts as possible, because active users give rise to more users, and this will expand the boards.ie community.

I didn't really think it was too harsh though, and it didn't look like the OP did either.

Well not harsh but maybe the sort of thing that you could let slide or wait and see what the thread was about, maybe he was looking for people to join his band or whatever
    So instead of quickly pruning an off-topic post the mod should let the forum fill up with irrelevant ****?
    In a similar way, could this guy not be a potential future customer?
    1. We don't have customers.
    2. The people asking for milk in book shops only really annoy the people working there, not the other customers.

Advertisement