Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use Your Illusion 1 and 2: The Debate

• 03-04-2006 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

The Facts
    The Use Your Illusion albums represent a turning point in the sound of Guns N' Roses. Although they did not abandon the hard rock tendencies so vivid in their first album, Appetite for Destruction, Use Your Illusion I demonstrated, for the first time, more or less, elements of blues, classical music, and country. For example, lead singer W. Axl Rose plays the piano on several tracks of both albums. In addition, with the Use Your Illusion Tour, both the music and stage presence of the band became more theatrical, in the tradition of progressive rock. It was songs like "November Rain" which brought Guns N' Roses popularity among music fans who usually did not listen to hard rock or heavy metal.

A number of songs on the album were written in the band's early days, but were not included on Appetite for Destruction. "Back Off Bitch", "Bad Obsession", "Bad Apples", "Don't Cry", "November Rain", and "The Garden" are considered part of this group.

Besides stylistic differences, another new aspect seen in Use Your Illusion I was longer songs. "November Rain", an epic ballad, is over 8 minutes long, and "Coma" is more than 10 minutes long. Another change was the presence of tracks sung by other members of the band: lead vocals on "Dust N' Bones" are performed by Duff McKagan, lead vocals on "14 Years" are performed by Izzy Stradlin (bassist Duff McKagan sings "So Fine" in Use Your Illusion II).

There are significant differences to be noted between Use Your Illusion I and II. The cover art of these two albums, identical except for color, is very representative of these differences: Use Your Illusion I is red, and has, for the most part an angrier, heavier sound; Use You Illusion II is blue, and has a softer, even more bluesy sound. The thematic material deals less with drug use than previous Guns N' Roses albums.

The 'Insider View'
    While Appetite For Destruction was widely praised, some people have criticized the Use Your Illusion albums as being disappointingly pompous, overwrought and cliche, lacking the reckless spirit and humor of their debut. It has also been noted that the quality of their music declined beginning with those albums. The well-known drug abuse by some members of the group, particularly Slash and McKagan, and Axl's fondness of Charles Manson T-shirts

What do people think? Was UYI the downfall of GnR?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

No, The UYI albums were class. A lot of people consider them to be a dull follow up to AFD, but I think most of the songs on there are pretty damn good. Just cool riffs, funny lyrics and crazy songs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

They are great albums, but it could have been broken down into just one disc imo. But to be honest, just the one song such as 'Estranged' pisses all over AFD. One of THE greatest tracks ever written imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

LundiMardi wrote:
    They are great albums, but it could have been broken down into just one disc imo. But to be honest, just the one song such as 'Estranged' pisses all over AFD. One of THE greatest tracks ever written imo.
    I've thought about this a few times... And even when I take away the more novelty tracks, and the weaker songs, i'm still left with a pretty meaty double album.

Estranged is one of those songs that you can play to a person who hates GnR and they'll still love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

UYI 1 is probably my favourite of all GNR albums, with the exception of November Rain. I'm sick of that song. But with Coma, Back Off Bitch, Double Talkin' Jive, Bad Apples, Don't Damn Me and Garden Of Eden, you can't go wrong. It's a beast.

It's much more of a pleasure to listen to than Appetite as well.

An just to make a correction, the Lead Vocals on Dust N' Bones was Duff. Izzy did backing. Izzy did do lead on Double Talkin' Jive. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Guns and Roses are a severly overated band
    sure AFD was a decent album but its not particularly great either
    and UYI 1&2 are pretty boring after a few listins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oeneus wrote:
    An just to make a correction, the Lead Vocals on Dust N' Bones was Duff. Izzy did backing. Izzy did do lead on Double Talkin' Jive. :)

Wrong on both counts unfortunately ;)

i reckon theres a handful of dud tracks between the two of them, but overall theyre pretty savage, they display gnr's other musical sides, and they arent one-dimensional like afd sounds after a few listens.

I reckon UYI2 is the better album, stronger songs all round, different guys singing aswell was a pretty good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Giblet wrote:
    Wrong on both counts unfortunately ;)

Really? Damn. Actually it should say in the little CD booklet. I'll check if I can find it.

Advertisement