Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric knife blade

• 03-04-2006 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

We bake all of our own bread so our electric knife is used daily to slice the loaves. It worked well for about a year but does not cut through the bread as efforlessly as it used to. I assumed the blade had got blunt so i sharpened it with a shapening device that you pull the blade along but it hasn't made any difference. The sharpener just seems to sharpen the teeth and not further inside the serrated edge. Is there any way of sharpening this type of knife blade? Or, does the mechanism of an electric knife wear out and therefore become less effective?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Well, I've never used an electric knife, but I know for a fact that you can never sharpen a serrated blade back to it's original level of sharpness, particularly if it is one of the ones with lots of little fiddly indentations. I reccomend investing in a good Wusthof carving knife, which will slice through bread with ease for years. Bread knives never last as long as carving knives, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

We had an electric knife, but you could replace the blade.

I understand that this piece of information is probably of no use to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You can't sharpen serrated knives with a normal sharpener, because all the one that you described does is grind the edge of the blade. If that edge is uneven, the sharpener will just make the teeth it can reach a little blunt and have no effect on the parts it can't reach.

(Saying this, my father sharpened a serrated bread knife for years, persisting until he'd worn the serrations right off and he was shrapening a straight blade. At which point he tried the "see? it does sharpen" tactic.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Do knife sharpeners still exist (the service in a shop I mean)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Yeah, but not really in a shop. There's a group of people who travel around the restaraunts & cafés in Dublin with a portable sharpener and a generator in the back of their van. Lol @ Majd's Dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

To sharpen a Serrated knife you will be needing a tapered diamond sharpener.
    The best ones that I have found are made by DMT and are the diafold type.
    These work very well and are easy to use.

Advertisement