Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Album of the Week #9: "At War with the Mystics" by The Flaming Lips

• 03-04-2006 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Special double album of the week this week. The Flaming Lips new album At War with the Mystics is out this week. Anyone get it yet? I think it's great. It's no Yoshimi... though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Yeah... disappointing would be the word from me. Their weakest album in a long time. Thats not to say its bad, by any stretch of the imagination. Its just by comparison to their other albums it suffers. It feels disjointed and laboured in parts... like they really had to work at creating a 'flaming lips' album. Sounds like more perspiration than inspiration on this album...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

I think it's great. It's no Soft Bulletin but I think it's a great album. I wasn't too fond of some of the songs at first (The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, It Overtakes Me) but now they've grown on me. The only song I don't really like is Haven't Got A Clue. It takes a while to get into but it's worth the effort.

My favourite tracks: My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion, W.A.N.D., Sound of Failure, Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung (best song on the album), Goin' On

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

This album took a little time to grow on me, had a fairly low opinion to begin with. I do like most of the album now having listened to it properly."It overtakes me" still gets on my nerves for some reason though, to the extent that I skip it. I just can't listen to it. My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion is my favourite track so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

Im loving it, they are really starting to understand the use of subtlety in their more electronic stuff, especially the drum programming. The usual influences are there, Supertramp, Yes, ELO, Neil young etc aswell as new ones like daft punk and Takako Minekawa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

It's great... the yeah yeah yeah song must be a dancefloor hit, for if it's not, oh I'll go on a never ending crusade to make it so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

My god this is one boring album. Yawn yawn yawn. It sounds like a band "reworking" songs from the 60s and 70s. Very u****ressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I like it. Time will tell if it's as good as I found Yoshimi to be, but there are some really stand out tracks on it. Very catchy album, which is no bad thing.

I love Free Radicals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Very poor album imo. First 3 track are good and then it just trails off into elevator style music. First time I listened I couldnt believe it when it ended, I was like wheres the rest of it?

Advertisement