Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smoke from exhaust at cold start

Options
  • 04-04-2006 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Pajero 2.5 diesel 2001. When I start when the engine is cold I get a big puff of heavy smoke for about 2 secs. The rest of the time all is clear.The engine is fine and doesn't burn oil. Any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

sounds perfectly normal to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

black or blue smoke. Black I assume, cause you said it is not burning oil, which tends to be blue.

So if black as suspected.... no big deal. Pumps usually deliver excess fuel when starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Yep, a lot of smoke on a cold morning too. I presume it's the fact the exhaust smoke cannot evaporate quick enough, producing more smoke out the back.

Don't know if the engine would eat more petrol too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Don't know if the engine would eat more petrol too?

unlikely. since it's a diesel. sorry :D couldn't resist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

adharc wrote:
    Pajero 2.5 diesel 2001. When I start when the engine is cold I get a big puff of heavy smoke for about 2 secs. The rest of the time all is clear.The engine is fine and doesn't burn oil. Any advice.

All diesels do the same....please tll me you are giving it a few secs for the engine to warm up before starting? on the VW Passat you have to wait till all the lights are off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 adharc

Thanks guys (gals). Guess it's ok then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

m_stan wrote:
    unlikely. since it's a diesel. sorry :D couldn't resist :D

Just talking in general with any car really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

all deisels engines do that,specially in winter months and give it few mins to warm up engine

Advertisement