Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the admins are doing...

Options
  • 04-04-2006 2:32am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Theres a couple of things the admins (mostly Regi!) are doing to fix the current problems. In relation to the speed issue, Regi is installing more memory into the DB server to see if its the cause of the intermittent slowdowns (we have a theory its big searchs that clog up the MySql server and cause the log jam). We also have a couple of speed tweaks he's going to try after that. We'll see if that makes a difference first and then if not we'll investigate an additional server to see if that improves the situation.

Asok is trying to resurrect muppet.boards.ie

Just FYI.

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

is there cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Despite my intense lobbying there isn't (to the best of my knowledge) a cake server, despite the fact that

I like cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

amp wrote:
    I like cake.
    pie2yf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Shut your pie hole!

CAKE 4EVAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i like amp, cake and nurses, though possibly not in that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

on a serious note.. how about putting longer wait times between searches. for example 30secs-1min between a search a person can do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

no hobbes
    that would drive me mad as I hunt down muppets...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Is there any way to archive some of the older posts?
    I'm sure a 1,000,000 post database would react much faster than a 5,000,000 post database.
    The archive could be kept on line with a different path/login so that it could be accessed if needs be.

Beruthiel wrote:
    no hobbes
    that would drive me mad as I hunt down muppets...!

Ok how about

not logged in = 1 minute between searches.
    registered user = 30 seconds.
    subscriber/moderators/smods/admins = 0 seconds.

Might help with the issue and gives people an extra incentive to sub.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Maybe stop people searching their own usernames ? There seems to be a lot of people who search for their own names to try and find the threads they've been posting in instead of using the UserCP or Subscription pages (which I'd imagine are far less resource intensive).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

You might be onto something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

DeVore wrote:
    Theres a couple of things the admins (mostly Regi!) are doing to fix the current problems. In relation to the speed issue, Regi is installing more memory into the DB server to see if its the cause of the intermittent slowdowns (we have a theory its big searchs that clog up the MySql server and cause the log jam). We also have a couple of speed tweaks he's going to try after that. We'll see if that makes a difference first and then if not we'll investigate an additional server to see if that improves the situation.

Asok is trying to resurrect muppet.boards.ie

Just FYI.

DeV.

Maybe you should only let people with subs use the search function?

I know i'd defo buy a sub if this ^ was the case

stevenmu wrote:
    Maybe stop people searching their own usernames ? There seems to be a lot of people who search for their own names to try and find the threads they've been posting in instead of using the UserCP or Subscription pages (which I'd imagine are far less resource intensive).

I presume clicking the link in your usercp to find all your threads is the same as using the actual search function to search for your name :confused:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

can we quantify how many searches are done a day Ecks? any way to see what the search string would be?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Maybe you should only let people with subs use the search function?

I know i'd defo buy a sub if this ^ was the case

It's an idea, but moderators should be able to use search also, which is used on a daily basis tracking muppets.

It's an idea, but moderators should be able to use search also, which is used on a daily basis tracking muppets.

yes well obviosly the mods/admins could search, i am a member at a different board and a while back they took away the search function and you had to have a sub to access it, it worked great

To add to that. The Mozilla plugin. Anyway to track how much that is doing? If I could get scaled down data might help a little.

Or if there is a bit I can add to the URL that will allow you to track its hits. eg.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/usercp.php?boardspmm=true

(well you get the drift)

How do i set it up so all threads made by me and all threads i post in, i subscribe to?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

After you reply to a thread, scroll down and change the drop down list.

Additional Options -->Thread Subscription

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Theres an option in the UserCP to auto-subscribe to any threads you reply to.

Hobbes, what exactly does your doodad do in technical terms?

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:
    Theres an option in the UserCP to auto-subscribe to any threads you reply to.

Hobbes, what exactly does your doodad do in technical terms?

DeV.

Noice, i found it thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I **SO** wanted this thread's first post to read:

"Snorting your subscriptions-worth of coke off the tanned taut bellies of expensive hookers"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I presume clicking the link in your usercp to find all your threads is the same as using the actual search function to search for your name :confused:
    Not as I understand it. There would be two different tables in the database, one for storing all the posts and a seperate one for storing what threads users have subscribed to. The subscriptions table should always be smaller than the posts table (for e.g. I've 2500 odd posts but only 1000 odd subscriptions), assuming many people don't subscribe to threads that they don't post in, making it quicker to search. I'd also imagine that each individual subsription record would be much smaller than your average post record making them quicker to return and less taxing on the server's memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

stevenmu wrote:
    Not as I understand it. There would be two different tables in the database, one for storing all the posts and a seperate one for storing what threads users have subscribed to. The subscriptions table should always be smaller than the posts table (for e.g. I've 2500 odd posts but only 1000 odd subscriptions), assuming many people don't subscribe to threads that they don't post in, making it quicker to search. I'd also imagine that each individual subsription record would be much smaller than your average post record making them quicker to return and less taxing on the server's memory.
    Yeah there is a field in the "user" table called posts, that has your postcount.

Then there is a table named "subscribethread" where that holds the user id and thread id
    SELECT  * 
    FROM  `subscribethread` 
    LIMIT 0 , 30

sql.JPG

DeVore wrote:
    Hobbes, what exactly does your doodad do in technical terms

DeV.

Sent you a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I just had a look at the members list.
    Of the 51,482 registered 16,342 have either 0 posts or their last post was before 01/01/2001.
    Would a bit of weeding out there help?

Is there any merit in clearing all subscriptions to all threads for all subscribers?
    Or at least all subsciptions to threads started before a certain date.
    I don't know the technicalities of the database used but I suspect there must be an overhead there somewhere.

Active posters would soon rebuild an up-to-date thread subscription list.

Our overheads are that we kick out 6 terrabytes of data a month, have 1000 concurrent users regularly and 5M posts! :) A few extra entries in a relatively minor table shouldnt matter. Let us change one thing at a time so we find whats limiting us and if nothing happens we will start looking at other options...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I think the RAM is going in to our web servers; they are loaded too...

Advertisement