Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet -- 8Mbps adsl2+ -- verdict?

• 04-04-2006 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

just as the title says, im wondering what the verdict is on magnet's 8Mbps adsl2+ line. i believe that im able to get it (ive yet to check - i got a letter in the post from them) so im just wondering if people know anything about this service.

how is the quality of the line?
    how consistent are the speeds?
    what about pings and packetloss?
    customer service? good/bad

any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

nag wrote:
    just as the title says, im wondering what the verdict is on magnet's 8Mbps adsl2+ line. i believe that im able to get it (ive yet to check - i got a letter in the post from them) so im just wondering if people know anything about this service.

how is the quality of the line?
    how consistent are the speeds?
    what about pings and packetloss?
    customer service? good/bad

any help appreciated :)

take it from me they are silent on Boards, two reasons:-

1. Too busy surfing and are delighted with speeds and latency (which I've heard from a few people)
    2. The can't get connected !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭crol

3. they have feck all customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

i just phoned them up. first of all, i was forwarded to someone else who answered the phone and left me hanging there for ages until i eventually got cut off. so i phoned back and told the guy what happened. he told me he'd make sure i was put through to someone. so i was put on hold... FOR AGES! *eventually* a woman answered - "hi" is all she said and before i got to the fourth word in the sentence, i got cut off again!!!

SO, i waited a little bit, did a few things and phoned them back. again, told the guy what happened and he put me on hold again for somone else. 15 MINUTES i was on hold for!! like fifteen-f***ing-minutes!

AND THEN

when the woman answered (i think it was the same woman) she didnt even give me her name, just another "hi, how can i help you?" (im not even sure if she said that much!). after explaining to her that i didnt have a phone number, she wanted a phone number from the local area to see if magnet was available to me. unfortunately, i couldnt provide her with a number so i just pressed on and asked her what packages they offer. she then put me on hold yet again (it wasnt the first time) while she went off to look into what packages they offered, as in, she didnt even know! she then came back to me to tell me that 8Mbps was the fastest they offered - "...i think" - and when i asked her what the upload was she said, "i dont know"! i just couldnt believe it and at which point it was blatently obvious that this woman didnt know squat and i was completely wasting my time and money so i just asked for her name and hung up - enfuriated

does anyone know the number for their complaints department or are they so amateur that they dont even have one?!

A Very P***ed Off Bunny :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Is Smart available in your exchange? If so, go with them instead.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Magnet does not sound too attractive then?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Blaster99 wrote:
    heh, my g/f has smart atm and all ill say on that matter is that she has gotten the last three months free as their service is the biggest pile of crap ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Blaster99 wrote:

could be in for a long wait though.

Moved out of an apartment in Jan and so did a friend of mine. I got a place with herself and he got a place on his own.

I ordered ntl BB and had it in in 5 day ( had the option of 3 days! )
    He ordered Smart.... and got a letter last monday telling him his order has been delayed again! thats almost 2 months....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I can't imagine Magnet will turn orders around any quicker, seeing as the holdup is eircom. Or so we're told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

nag wrote:
    does anyone know the number for their complaints department or are they so amateur that they dont even have one?!

The complaints department is probably the same woman you've spoken to already. She may also be the voice of sales, accounts and technical support :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The 8Mbps sounds good, but if you use their TV service 2/3rds of that is used up. If you further from exchange you may get 4M to 6M..

They also resell Eircom Bitstream (LIke UTV etc). The ADSL2 relies on LLU (Eircom handing over control of the line from exchange to your house). You can imagine how speedy and smooth LLU is. The percentange of LLU done in Ireland is miniscule. This gives idea of why so few magnet posts compared with Eircom. BT, Digiweb and IBB who have bucket loads of customers. There are probabily more people on TWO way satellite than on Magnet ADSL2 8Mbps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement