Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

91 octane unleaded

Options
  • 04-04-2006 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed that out in eastern Europe eg Austria there is a 91 octane unleaded sold everywhere. Most cars I have ever had use 95 octane.

What sort of heaps run on 91? I think I may have accidently put that 91 crap in my rental car in Hungary last week, it would account for bad acceleration.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Thatll kill any jap import turbos. The ceramic turbos hate that stuff and there not fond of 95 either.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

not just in "eastern Europe" ...take Germany for example:

Back in the days of leaded fuel you used to get "normal" or "regular" (91 Octane) and "Super" (98 Octane)

Then when the lead dissapeared, for a time all you could get was "Eurosuper" (95 Octane) and now there is "nmormal unleaded" (91), "super" (95) and "super plus" (98)

Almost every engine that isn't highly tuned will run happily on 91 Octane. Having said that ...more and more modern engines (big or small) are now so optimised that they need at least 95 Octane.

But for a lot of people it is still important to buy a new car that will run on 91 Octane ...it is just so much cheaper in the long run (usual difference is around 5 cent per liter)

That, btw, is the reason why you get some VW/Opel/Ford engines that have a fairly "weedy" power output per cc (especially in comparison to Jap engines) ...they are designed to run on 91 Octane.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I remember once on holiday in Austria accidentally filling the MX-5 up with that stuff. It drove like a pig especially when we decided to drive over the Gothard Pass ... I was being overtaken going uphill by virtually everybody :)

P.S. I'm sure the Austrians would love to hear that their country is considered to be in 'Eastern Europe' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

It is more suitable for ;

economies for which the market would perfer a cheaper fuel sacrificing performance, with less sensitive vehicles to suit (NOT an Intergra Type R!)

optional in countries where vehicles stay on a near constant speed, on long runs on say motorways

Most cars here would be 'pinking' like crazy with that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I take it it was never sold here.

Must work well in the trabants and the pre freedom skodas. :)

• Advertisement

Nope ..Trabants are two-stroke ..they run on a 1:25 mix:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Heh, or you could opt for the luxurious Trabant 1,1 later on....which had the upgrade to a small 4-stroke VW engine...WOW ! Why didnt it catch on in Ireland...

Bet you wont find a rusty one ;)

Bet you wont find a rusty one

not on the body panels ...the ware made from cloth soaked in epoxy "Duraplast" ...no sheet metal there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My Jetski is supposted to run on 91-92 Octane ... Wonder where I could get it in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Ba$tard wrote:
    Why didnt it catch on in Ireland...
    Cos twasn't a toyota, and the feckin goats would eat it while your back was turned!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Bond-007 wrote:
    I noticed that out in eastern Europe eg Austria there is a 91 octane unleaded sold everywhere. Most cars I have ever had use 95 octane.

What sort of heaps run on 91? I think I may have accidently put that 91 crap in my rental car in Hungary last week, it would account for bad acceleration.

We have only RON 95,98,99 or 100 petrol in Hungary since ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bond-007 wrote:

I think most two-stroke engines would run quite happily on this?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Depends on the compression ratio really. Chances are it will run hotter with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Depends on the compression ratio really. Chances are it will run hotter with it anyway.

Advertisement