Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break-ins and robbing b@stards

Options
  • 04-04-2006 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭

got the indo through my letterbox yesterday, and the times today
    whats the story?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Break in and robbing bastards

Just to let you know the new trick the robbing gits are doing now!

I'm up in Delgany Wood and yesterday morning I was surprised to get the Irish Times thru my letter box. I'd not ordered it, and thought maybe they were doing a free run to get people interested. Then last night a neighbour called over and said the papers were dropped in at 3:30 in the morning. He said he was woken by his dogs going nuts, so he went down and saw a car there, and when he turned on the light they were off like a shot.

This may come as a shock, they are not the local paper boys putting in some extra hours. They are nicking the papers from news agents, and then going to estates, and if they get caught, they say they are just delivering, when in fact they are scoping the houses out.

The guards said that they use news papers as they bang bank them into the letter boxes, and see what noise they can get away with.

Also, a neighbour disturbed them on Sunday night, as she came down she found 2 suction pads, the type that glazers use, attached to her windows, so this guys are as pro as it gets.

Any way, just thought I give you the heads up. If you see a news paper 'boy' at 3-4ish in the morning, give the guards a call.

Pip

Oh, also, we had a meeting with the guards last week about a neighbour hood watch scheme in Delgany wood. May be worth the Charles land folks getting together.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Interesting, we have gotten the Indo through the door the last couple of days - was wondering what that was about.

Have to say I'm not impressed, why do the Delgany folks get the Times and we get stuck with the Indo?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

see the above thread re. robbing b@ stards - seems its a scam to scope out houses, the newspapers are being delivered in the middle of the night.:mad: :mad: :mad:

merged threads.

Eoin

I cant believe that. I was wondering why I had a free Indo yesterday and then a free Times this morning esp, as I was up at 06:30 in the morning and it was already there. I presumed it was some kind of promotion thing????

Anyway, I called Greystones Gardai who said they were aware of a gang of lads that were around Delgany/Greystones over the weekend with those suction pads and they were basically scoping out nice cars in driveways - the glass suction things are to break into the house to look for car keys - I think there was an earlier thread about this aswell where someones apt was broken into but all they wanted was the car keys?? But anyway he said they werent aware of the newspaper thing and he said hed make some enquiries and speak to the guys on the nightshift to ensure that the squad car is doing the rounds regularly.

He was really sound and said if anyone has any other info or concerns to please call the Greystones station - 01 6665800 and let them know and theyll send someone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Are the newspapers actually being pushed all the way through the letterboxes or are they being stuffed in without dropping to the floor ? If it is the latter, then these guys are most likely checking out which houses are not taking the paper in, so if it is still there the next day/night, then they know nobody is home !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

That is very scary. I was out at 6.45am this morning and the Times was shoved in the letterbox. i was baffled to think what kind of time they had delivered at. We're in the park and what's even worse is that there are no streetlights turned on in the park yet, so they have the full cover of darkness to get away with it.

I hope the gardai stick to their promise and send a squad car around.

eigrod wrote:
    Are the newspapers actually being pushed all the way through the letterboxes or are they being stuffed in without dropping to the floor ? If it is the latter, then these guys are most likely checking out which houses are not taking the paper in, so if it is still there the next day/night, then they know nobody is home !

The latter in our case. Was also up at 6:30, and it never occurred to me that it was dead early for papers to already have been delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

So in other words. If you see one in your neighbours letterbox and you know they might be away. Push it in or take it out so that there is no obvious sign of them being away...

A bit scary what they do get up to... and we'll just have to hope that the garda do their thing and gets it to stop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

Bloody hell I was woken up by the racket at 4.30 a.m. yesterdayand the dog was going ballistic no paper today though went down the stairs and just thought the guy had trouble stuffing it in the letterbox.Arre people sure it was the times today---- thats big time suspicious Id watch it if you got two they obviously were doing houses again more selectively

• Advertisement

"Arre people sure it was the times today---- thats big time suspicious Id watch it if you got two they obviously were doing houses again more selectively"

Yes it was definately Indo yesteday and Times today, though would appreciate something more helpful than "id watch it if you got 2".Sadly not all of us have dogs or multiple people living the house, so bar putting the alarm on at night or sitting up alll night watching the door there isnt really a whole lot else you can do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ccfcexile

im in the grove and got the times today and the indo yesterday ,has anyone tried mailing the indo or times ? i think that kinda scam is a bit elaborate myself for the scum that are robbing the houses the times and indo are usualy printed about midnight and sent for delivery to the various shops about 3 , so for some scum to go off to the different print houses and rob papers and drive a few miles to shove papers in peoples letterboxes is a bit ott imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

I live in Seabourne View and looked out my window last Sunday. Someone was after knicking all the wheels off someone's car. So if you have nice wheels be warned!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Neighbourhood watch plan is a good idea - count me in. If anyone else gets more papers would be a good idea to mention it here. Here's hoping these f*cknuckles are reading this site and know they've been sprung..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

Another Irish Times this morning. I've emailed them to find out whether it's part of a promotion they are doing. Will post again once I get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

No newspapers for me yesterday or today and I'm in The Wood. The plot thickens:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BrokerBroker

Nothing today or yesterday (I am in the court)

ARGH :mad:
    Another Times this morning. so i rang the Gardai back to see if the night patrol saw anything last night. The guard I spoke to said that as far as he knows its legitimate and when I asked how he knows that he said "well I think its legit anyway, I've not heard anything from the guys on night duty". He also said he thought it was legit because "everyone in Charlesland got one." I asked how he knows that and he said that "they were seen in the letterboxes". But I'm not sure how that works if he didnt speak to the night duty people.:confused:

To be honest I got really annoyed because he basically said that as noone else has called them about it they arent investigating (which is in complete contradiction to what I was told yesterday). When I said that a lot of residents were very concerned and also pointed out the fact that its strange that its been 2 different papers plus how lads were seen legging it in cars when neighbours turned on lights and distrubed them, I was again just told that as they'd had no other calls they werent considering it an issue. He also insinuated that as the paper was delivered to "my" house that it was up to me to make my own enquiries. :( :eek: :confused:

Well theres no point arguing with the Gardai and the conversation was going nowhere. His only other solution was to call the station after 10pm and speak to the night duty guys. Very helpful and reassuring to know that when the day shift take over there seems to be no handover done. :(

So anyway I rang the Irish Times this morning and spoke to a lady in the Circulation Dept who said I'm the third call theyve had about this and they are going to speak to the Distribution Mgr when he gets in and if it seems theres something suspicious going on theyll get on to the Gardai themselves. Plus she'll call me back when theres an update and will post when I hear anything.

Suggest that if maybe some more people get on to the Greystones Gardai aswell that they might take the issue a bit more seriously - 666 5800. I know it might be perfectly legit but at least we would know one way or the other.

Folks apip99 methinks was having a windup here.I rang indo ---yes there was a free promo shot organised for charlesland .They say they do it all around new estates on a one off .Charlesland was done over 2 nights and the drops can be done from any time from 2,30 am on as they have a few to do.
    The local constabulary have no record of a call regards this and never heard of this modus operandi but said that they would check with other stations in case.Got a call back and ditto -there have been afew burglaries in C'land but nothing above the average for an estate of its size.Scaring poor charleslanders for nothing:mad:

hilarious windup :(

but at least its a good outcome. still seriously u****ressed with the Gardais lack of interest in taking any interest in the complaint though. then again, whats new. thanks for the clarification bertie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Perty

We're in the Park and we got a flyer with our Times offering a daily paper delivery service. I think it's just a promotion. I doubt robbers would go through all the trouble of printing the flyers too. They looked very official.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bloggj

I take it the stuff on the papers is not a scam. I have heard of a number of burglaries of both cars and houses in the greystones area. I am sure this goes on in any housing estate, new or old in any area, but there is no such forum as boards for people to hear about. Everyone knows the measures you need to go to to keep your place secure!! Most burglars are opportunistic....open windows...etc etc

There has been a lot of it in Charlesland and I found the gardai helpful in all cases---check "there be Scumbags about" thread on the Greystones/ Charlesland board.

Dont know if anyone has checked out changing the locks on the doors
    in charlesland! Not exactly the easiest task. With the thin front and back doors and metal frame on the inside, not really like standard doors with wood which make it possible to put any lock on!!!! Not much choice but to get a decent alarm. all money eh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

I'm not a fan of the front door either, but I did read that the three-point locking system it uses is one of the more secure types to have.

FYI - Confirmation from Brian in the Irish Times.

Free papers this week are organised by a bloke called George Davis who is offering a newspaper delivery service in the area. Tel (01) 235 0121 for further information.

Panic Over :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

Panic not over. How does one distinguish Mr Davis from a burglar at 3am? What a muppet. The least he could have done was inform people he would be lurking around their houses in the middle of the night.

I would agree. By putting a paper in the letterbox when the alarm is on in alot of cases would set it off. my sensor in the hall goes off the minute i step into the area so if the paper had dropped on the floor would have set it off!! Luckily it was lodged in my already bashed up letterbox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Yer, well as if I would bother writing a post as a wind, oh and call the guards!!!!! I mean come on.

Bertie Please think before you accuse.

blogi: Most burglars are opportunistic.: This is not true. If they are looking to steal you DVD player then yes they probable are. But if they are stealing you car which most are. Then they are pro's who do this for a living, on a steal to order base.

At the N-watch meeting with the guards, it was them that that brought up news papers, and flyers being used as a ploy to look thru windows and see how much noise they can get away with. So maybe our fault putting break-in on the same night with the papers, and coming up with 5, but better to be vigilant, than just to ignore these matter.

Or maybe we should all wait to get a guards reference number, proof and finger prints before posting on the boards that there 'maybe' something suspicious going on in our area!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Panic over indeed..........I told my neighbor and scared the bejesus out of her........she also rang the Guards before I could explain that I was wrong.
    I don't know what they told her but I think I’ll avoid her for a couple of days so she can enjoy her "complimentary" newspaper.............

I stayed away from forums for years for exactly this reason. A forum is for opinions, not facts......

I can see it now

Irish Times, May 15th 2006

"Paranoid Charlesland Resident beats postman to death believing him to be possessed by the devil trying to steal the butter ........"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement